chapter 33

"No one ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus

33.

I expected to receive cheers, or congratulations, or even a sigh of relief from the crowd but instead I was embraced by an awkward silence.

"Okay... totally not the reaction I hoped for," I turned towards Ethan, “Did we do something wrong?”

His calculating eyes went over the area in search of a praising eye but were met with complete silence.

I could never quite figure out what they really wanted from me; first they asked me to accept him and when I didn’t, they got mad at me, however now when I did accept him, they didn’t give a wolf’s ass about it. 

“That’s why I say life is too short to waste trying to impress others.” My wolf commented.

Okay, wiseass.

Two minutes had passed and not a word left anyone’s mouth which soon began to annoy me.

“Maybe they’re shocked? You do have a tendency to bring up things at the worst time.”

Do you come with a mute button or something?

“That’s great news, Alpha Vivian and Alpha Ethan,” Alpha Lennon finally mustered up the courage and broke the silence, “But do you think it was the appropriate decision considering the journey we are going to embark on?”

Something switched in Ethan.

He took a dangerous step forward, “What are you trying to say… that she shouldn’t have accepted me?” His voice was low and threatening.

The blackness of his eyes confirmed the presence of his wolf. And he wasn’t pleased with Lennon’s reply.

Alpha Lennon raised his hand in a surrendering manner which was clever of him; Ethan’s wolf had just returned and no one exactly knew how he was feeling after his return. One wrong move could have triggered him.

Better to be safe than sorry.

“Look, I am not your enemy, Ethan. I am sure everyone here, including me, is very happy to know that you both have worked out your complications.”

“It doesn’t seem like that.”

“All that I am trying to say is that… as of now, it would become even more difficult to keep you both separated from each other. Your connection is new, meaning it would be more powerful and intense. And it is only a matter of time Vivian’s heat will make a return. All we can do is pray that it doesn’t happen when we are there.”

Oh, damn.

I totally forgot about that.

Damn it. Damn it. Damn it. Damn it.

“Say it again, I am sure you haven’t damned our heat enough,” My wolf observed.

“Let’s just take it one day at a time, shall we?” Beta Jonathan came to our aid.