Bonus Chapter Pt. 1

•- Laine Bennett -•

I had never seen Austine in such shambles as he walked around the venue shouting orders at the unsuspecting staff.

I stood against a wall watching from afar in hopes of not being reined into his incessant shouting. He was ordering the decorators around and the catering staff was red in the face hoping not to fall victim to Austin's wrath.

"I always thought this would be you," Thea laughs from beside me as we both watch Austin begin to curse out a young waiter who was just trying to get their job done.

"I did too. I must say, I'm happy he did most of the planning though. It lifted the stress off my shoulders. All I have to do is show up and say 'I Do.'"

Thea elbows me gently and we both fall into silenced laughter as to not direct Austin's attention to us.

We ultimately failed because the second he caught me standing idly by, he marched towards us with such aggression in his step that Thea ran faster than I had ever seen her run in all the years I'd known her.

As if he were a drill sergeant and I a soldier in the making, I fix my posture and hold my hands behind my back.

"What do you think you're doing?" Austin asks me as his arms crossed over his chest.

"I think I'm standing here but I'm not sure. Maybe I should stand over there?" I point towards the front of the venue where Austin's team of elaborate decorators had not even started setting up yet, "Or maybe I should stand on the other side of New York because I've seen you cure out more people today than I have ever seen you do in your office."

I wore a humored smile as Austin was in an intense game mode that was nearly unbreakable. His face softens and his shoulders finally drop. He'd been so tense these last few days, or rather ever since we'd picked a date for our wedding. He took over the entire planning process and a majority of our wedding was going to be as much a surprise to the guests as it was to me.

"I'm sorry," Austin unnecessarily apologizes before wrapping his arms around my waist. Austin pulls my body to him and I'm quick to comfortably fall into his embrace, "I want our wedding to be perfect."

His fingers brush my hair from my cheek before he presses a soft peck to my lips.

I hum happily before resting my chin on his chest to look up at him.

"Austin, I could not care less if our wedding was in the courthouse. As long as by the end of the day you're stuck with me, I could not be happier," I smile up at him and he returns the soft gesture.

"I know, baby. I just want this day to be special. I want this wedding to top all others."

"I promise to you, Austin, out of all my future weddings, this will be my favorite."

Austin chuckles and I feel his grasp on me tighten.

"Lainey, I'm taking you in the divorce," he smirks up at me and I can't help but lean up and kiss him.

As we part his eyes move to a clock hung on the wall off in the distance. I follow his gaze and just as I see the time he pushes me off of him. "Lainey, you're supposed to be getting ready for your bachelorette party!"

I can't help but laugh before wrapping my arms around him again. "I'll go in a minute."

He smiles, his lips meeting the top of my head before we stand in each other's arms for the last time before our rehearsal dinner tomorrow.

•———•

I was sat in a back booth of a random bar that Thea, my maid of honor, had chosen. Mahalia sat across from me with Brent beside her. Despite being Austin's groomsman, it felt wrong to not have him at my bachelorette. Austin hardly minded as he chose to spend tonight with Chris and his cousins.