Chapter 28

Getting through Madame Pomfrey was harder than I excepted. She insisted that Harry, Ron and Hermione needed their rest, but luckily for me Harry came to me rescue.

"It's okay, Madame Pomfrey. It's no bother to me, and I promise we'll be quiet," the older nurse takes a long look at both of us, and decides to allow it.

"Ten minutes, and not a second more," Pomfrey says sternly, before walking away muttering to herself.

"So, what's so important that Dumbledore insisted I come talk to you?"

"Sirius," Harry states simply.

"Sirius Black?" I say, trying to act shocked. "What does he-" as Harry smirks and raises an eyebrow, I drop the act. "How do you know?"

"He told me. Well, after he sang riddles about 'only one will die tonight' and then Ron's rat turned into a man."

"Pettigrew?" I gasp. "Did you catch him?" I look at him for an answer, but Harry's fallen face is all I need. "Where is he now?"

"Gone," Harry's voice cracks a little. "He-he said we could be a family. Me, you, him, and Remus. Sirius said we could all live together, but then...then Snape ruined everything!"

"What'd he do?"

"The dementors came -I was able to hold them off- but after we passed out, Snape took him." I feel my stomach drop involuntarily. I shouldn't be scared—scared for the man who abandoned me, and me feel horrible. But I am. "Hermione and I helped Sirius escape," I let out a small sigh of relief, "but now I can't go live with. With all of you. And what he did to Lupin..."

"Remus! Is he okay?" Fear floods back into my body, but this time it's ten times worse.

"You haven't heard?" Harry says sadly. "Snape told everyone about his...er, furry problem. Lupin's leaving today."

"I-I've got to go," I say feeling a horrible pit in my stomach. "We can talk more later, but I've got to see him-"

"I understand," Harry nods, "I'll see you around, Eva."

I sprint down the hall, ignoring Madam Pomfrey and the prefects that yell at me to stop running. By the time I reach Remus' classroom I'm completely out of breath, but I don't even pause for a second before barging in. "Remus!"

There's a shuffling sound and a loud 'bang', before Remus appears from his office. "I see you've heard."

"They can't do this! You haven't hurt anyone! Don't leave, Remus. Please don't leave me!"

"Eva!" Remus grabs my shoulders, and stops my slight hysteria from growing more. "Just because I'm not teaching here, doesn't mean you won't see me. And for the job...well, let's just say I'm used to this sort of reaction by now. C'mere," Remus pulls me into a hug, wincing slightly as I wrap my arms around his bruised body. "You were right you, you know. If only he had more careful as a kid, then we all just might have believed him." Remus' last words sounded more like he was speaking not himself than me. But I ignored it, because I wanted to savor the last moments with my godfather in this classroom. I never did end up finding out what Remus had meant.

After many hours spent in the library, and dozens of all-nighters pulled, I was able to complete my missing work and manage to get good scores on the exams.

I was enjoying my time spent with my friends without textbooks shoved in our faces, but the sadness of Remus leaving still clouded my mind often. I spent my last few weeks at Hogwarts as a fourth year either hanging around the forest with Luna, Kala, and whatever animals decided to join us. Or sometimes with the twins and Lee, pulling some last minute pranks to end the year. Or even with Harry, attempting to bond because of our 'familial bond'.

On the last day of school for the year, I found myself wandering the halls. Kala and I had already packed(unlike Luna) and when Kala offered to help the younger girl, I thought it would be better to leave the two alone. As I walked through the deserted hallways, the memories of this year came flowing back. It had so different than my previous three years at Hogwarts. I had left the place I called home for almost my whole life, and with doing that it seemed I had left my whole life behind. Now, I had a new one. One with a escapee father, a werewolf godfather, a host family full of redheads(and of course I fancied one of them), and now a godbrother practically worshipped Sirius.

"Ev?" The familiar sound of Fred's soothing voice knocked me out of my thoughts.

"Fred? Down here to pull one last prank?" I ask jokingly.

"You caught me," he laughs, putting his hands up. "What are you doing down here?"

"Just walking," I shrug, "What are you doing down here?"

"Just walking," Fred slightly mockingly. I shove him lightly, and as our laughs die out and awkward silence falls over us.

"So..." Fred starts, trying to break the silence. "Ready to help George and I with some pranks on Percy this summer? We've already got a couple of ideas we want to try."

"Oh, Fred," I smile at him sadly. "I-I thought your mum would have told you. I'm not coming back to the Burrow this summer."

"What?"

"Flitwick...well, he basically told me to get it together after I skipped class for awhile. And well after thinking on my future, I want to do something with animals. Since I haven't taken Care of Magical Creatures I've got to do something with animals over the summer." I pause trying to not look at the sadness etched over Fred's face. "I'm going to Romania. Not for the whole summer, but just most of it."

I wait for him to say something, anything. But we keep walking in silence. After almost a minute of us avoiding eye contact, Fred speaks up. "Just don't leave me alone the whole summer, Ev." He moves from my side to right in front of me, blocking me from moving.

"Fred, what-"

"We should get ready for the train," he leans down and plants a kiss on my forehead, before turning down the hall. I stand there in shock for a few moments, before finally regaining the use of my limbs.

After the long journey of dragging our trunks through the school, and to the train. Luna, Kala, and I finally reach an empty compartment. Luna plops down beside me, while Kala sits on the other side of the compartment.

"Are you two ready for the summer?" Luna asks, leaning against my shoulder.

"Yeah, but I'll miss both of you," Kala smiles sadly.

"I'll miss both of you too," I smile back with the same mixture of sad and happy as Kala.

Wow, so Eva's fourth year is finally done. This took way longer than I expected and hopefully I can get the other parts of the book out quicker. I want to thank all of you who've read, voted, or commented.

Also, I want to let you guys know that I will be writing a prequel about Marie aka Eva's mum. I want to expand on Marie's story, and how she and Sirius fell in love. I will be posting the first chapter either today or tomorrow, so if you want to read it, it'll be on my page soon.