66

Soft piano notes wafted through the dining room doors. I couldn't help but wonder who was playing, as Amancio rarely ate dinner with others. Somehow, I was the exception.

I was still fuming about the Brutus situation. The fact that he saw me, the fact that he watched- made my skin crawl.

The butler nodded, before opening the dining room doors for me.

"Lady Madeline Prowess," He announced.

Reluctantly, I walked into the dining room, my shoes click clacking against the dark marble floors. I never seemed to understand why Amancio ate in a large room that could seat up to 50 people. The empty seats and unnecessary space creeped me out enough.

The piano playing stopped as I entered and it was then that I realized it was Amancio who was playing. He got up and walked across the large space towards me, his eyes surprisingly soft.

I backed away and he stopped in his tracks.

"Madeline...I'm sorry. I apologize for my behaviour last night," He cleared his throat.

"You wouldn't want to mistakenly kill your 'future wife' now, would you?" I rolled my eyes. I didn't buy his apology at all.

Thankfully, dinner was set on a long rectangular table, Amancio on one end and I on the other.

I sat in my seat, making sure not to look up from my dress. I wasn't going to risk making eye contact with Amancio again.

"Why did you try to escape?" Amancio asked.

My eyes met his. "Are you seriously asking me that question?"

"I do not understand you, Madeline," Amancio scoffed. "You live in the lap of luxury here, but yet you choose to be treated like a prisoner."

"That's because I am a prisoner, Amancio! You ordered me to be handcuffed yesterday! I slept with handcuffs and woke up with purple bruises. Why wouldn't I try to escape?!" Tears pooled in my eyes once again.

Amancio shook his head, "If only you were compliant, if only you were obedient and wouldn't be so stubborn for once."

I scoffed, "I've lived almost 19 years of my life being stubborn. What makes you think I'm going to change that for you?"

Amancio said nothing.

My plate of food lay untouched in front of me, despite the constant grumbling of my stomach.

"I've agreed to marry you, Amancio. We get married in a little more than a day. What more do you want?" I shook my head.

"I want you to stop looking at me like I'm some sort of creature, goddamit!" Amancio slammed his hands on the table, startling me.

I let out a breath, trying my best to stay calm. "I don't look at you like some sort of creature. I look at you like the monster you are. And the bruises on my wrists and neck are proof of that."

Amancio said nothing and the dinner was carried on in silence.

"Amancio," I said, finally. "I would appreciate it if Brutus doesn't follow me everywhere I go."

"Brutus is there for your protection, and to ensure you don't try any tricks," Amancio replied, as if it was obvious.

I felt uncomfortable saying it. "Brutus...watched me while I undressed today."

Amancio stopped mid-chew, his jaw clenching. His fingers began to drum against the table, rhythmically.

"I will take care of it," was all he said.

***

I woke up the next day to repeated knocks on the door.

"I said come in, Imogen," I muttered, walking towards the door.

I pulled it open and looked around. On the ground lay a fairly large red box, tied with a black velvet fabric and an envelope.

I looked around again, it all seemed very suspicious.

I picked the box up and closed the door behind me.

The wedding was the next day, so I guessed the box was Amancio's sick idea of a pre-wedding present.

I picked up the envelope and tore it open.

Think of this as an "early wedding gift", was all it said.

I opened the box and screamed, backing away quickly. My sudden movement caused the box clattered to the floor, along with what was in it.

My hand flew to my mouth as Brutus' detached head lay on the floor, his cold dead eyes wide open with horror.

***

Carlos' POV

I had lost track of how many days it'd been since Madeline and I were separated. I was alone in my cell, mocked and maltreated by The Dark Lords.

But the only thing on my mind was Madeline. Around a week ago, when Brutus took her out of her cell, I'd assumed it was to get her cleaned up. But I ended up never seeing her again. None of the guards answered my questions, though I didn't relent. I asked those same questions each day. I had an idea of what was going on in the palace. I assumed Amancio had taken the position as King and had turned Aridia into his own hell.

My fists clenched at the thought. Before, I was hurt. I hurt for days, replaying every memory Amancio and I had in my head- analysing each scene until my head hurt. I missed Madeline. Hell, I missed her with every fibre of my being. She was the only thing holding me together and as the length of her absence grew, I could feel myself falling apart.

"Eat up, lover boy," One of the guards slid a piece of chicken through the small opening in the bars. The guards revelled in taunting me. They behaved as if they had some sort of vendetta against me, even though I remember treating each and every guard with respect. They had to be new recruits.

"Where is Madeline? What have you psychopaths done with her?!" I demanded for the billionth time.

The guards continued talking about their nonsense, pretending I didn't exist.

"Answer me!" I shook the bars of the cell.

One of them whipped around. He had only one eye, the other covered by a black bandage.

"Listen closely lover boy, if you want to know what's good for you? I suggest you forget about that girl- because you're never seeing her again," He snarled.

Hey guys, how was your weekend?

I've officially started my one week holiday and I wish it was longer tbh.

Tell me what you think of this chapter and seeing the story from Carlos' POV in general. Don't forget to add this book to your library, vote, comment and share.

Also, this is a reminder to breathe and drink water.

Stay safe,

-Dawn