14. Hospitals and Codes

"Ow, fuck

"Ow, fuck."

Spencer grips your hand tighter as the nurse stiches his arm, and you turn your head to look at him, meeting his eyes.

"Hey, you're fine. It's just a graze. You didn't even really get shot."

"It still hurts," he says through clenched teeth, exhaling slowly when the nurse backs up.

"Alright, Dr. Reid. You're all done."

"Thank you," he says, giving the nurse a small smile. "Um, could you do me a favor? Can you go into the waiting area and tell Aaron Hotchner to bring us our kids?"

"Of course."

You sit on the edge of the hospital bed Spencer's sitting in. Glancing around the emergency room, your mind races, thinking about the past hour and a half of your life. The fluorescents hurt your eyes, and you can feel a headache beginning to pound at your skull. You briefly close your eyes, your free hand rubbing your temple, trying to wane off the pain in your head.

"Daddy!"

Opening your eyes, you spot Joseph running ahead of Hotch, who's holding Rhiannon. Surprisingly, Jamie walks beside him, her eyes bloodshot and puffy. You break your grip on Spencer's hand, Joseph running over to the edge of the bed. Spencer leans over, picking up his son and hugging him, scattering kisses on the top of his head. You get up, taking Rhiannon from Hotch. She giggles, gripping onto your shirt, her hazel eyes looking up at your face.

"Hey, honey," you say, kissing her forehead.

"Mama," she murmurs, leaning her head forward to rest on your chest, just under your neck.

You look at Spencer and smile before sitting on the edge of his bed. You ruffle Joseph's curls, and he nestles himself onto Spencer's lap. You revel in this seemingly rare moment—your whole family together, all four of you. You look up at Hotch, running your fingers through Rhiannon's curls.

"Thanks, Hotch. For keeping them safe during all of that."

Hotch nods. "Always." He's quiet for a moment. "Take tonight to recoup; we'll meet tomorrow in the office. We need to talk about everything that happened at that warehouse."

You give him a nod, and Joseph waves by to Hotch as he walks away. You look at Jamie, and she gives you a half-hearted smile.

"Jamie, are you okay?" You ask, knitting your brows together.

Jamie nods. "I have a bit of a headache, but Kyle and I are fine. I, um, brought the car seats and the crib for Rhiannon. I also have their little bags with their stuff. Your team actually helped me load it into your SUV."

You stand up, careful not to jostle Rhiannon as you walk toward Jamie, putting your hand on her shoulder. "Hey, don't beat yourself up about this, okay? I'm sorry I dragged you into this mess."