~3~

Brighid woke up the next morning to her dad and Nathan bickering. She had heard the two come in quite late last night but didn't pay much attention to what they were saying. Brighid now wished she knew what happened last night.

"It's not just a mistake Nathan, it can cost you everything, including college basketball.... is that what you want?" Dan lectured as she walked down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"No!" Nathan said trying to reason with him.

"Look at your sister. I can't come saving you as well" Dan continued. Brighid was about to open her mouth when he cut her off. "Don't say a word. It's between Nathan and I right now"

"I just don't appreciate you bringing my situation into this. Wasn't that one of the promises made?" Brighid questioned.

"Brighid Scott, I said not to get involved" Dan yelled. Nathan and Brighid looked at each other before Dan turned his attention back to Nathan. Brighid decided to stay out of it not wanting to get herself into trouble or worse grounded.

"Dad, it was harmless fun. We wanted to celebrate the win. We just borrowed the bus" Nathan tried to convince him. He was clearly frustrated with their Dad who wasn't letting him tell an ounce of the story.

"Stealing a bus, with alcohol present is not harmless fun Nate"

"Mom's going to have a field day with this" Brighid muttered under her breath.

"Your mother isn't not to hear about this at all" Dan warned the children.

"Come on Dad, you had to have made a mistake in high school" Nathan said.

"We aren't going to talk about my mistakes. It's you who I'm worried about now" Dan said in an angry voice. Nathan grabbed his varsity jacket off the dining room chair and slipped it on.

"Let's go, we are going to be late" Dan huffed not wanting to talk about this anymore. He grabbed his keys off the island and ushered Nate out of the house.

Brighid just shook her head grabbing the container of orange juice.
———
Later that night Brig was at Brooke's listening to girly music and flipping through new magazines Brooke had picked up.

"So, got your eye on anyone?" Brooke asked popping her gum.

"No, you?" Brighid lied.

"Hmmm, maybe. I'm into older boys though. Can't find any decent ones here. We need to hit up a college party soon" Brooke said chucking the magazine onto the floor.

"So how was basketball camp? Hate it so much you quit?" Brooke asked.

"It was hard, feel out of love with it after the camp" Brighid lied again.

"Where was this camp again?"

"Wisconsin"

"You're such a liar, I looked up basketball camps in Wisconsin and nothing came up. I mean nothing" Brooke said with a deviant look on her face. She clearly wanted to know what Brighid had been up to that caused her to miss the first few months of school and to quit basketball.

Brighid remained silent keeping eye contact with the magazine she had in hand. She flipped to the next page hoping Brooke would leave her alone.

"Fine, play your little game of secrets. I'll get it out of you soon enough" Brooke teased before jumping around the room to the music she had turned up on the radio.

Brooke wanting Brighid to join in on the fun grabbed her hands and practically dragged her off the bed making her jump around too. The two danced to the music acting, like true teenagers.