25

EVIE

Papers were scattered all over the table. Books were opened and propped up, each marked and  opened to a page that needed to be studied. Highlighters and half used notebooks were piled in a corner. It looked like a hurricane hit. 

I was stressed. My stomach was full of nothing but coffee and an energy drink. I managed to only eat a granola bar today... too stressed to even think about food. I could feel my brain slowly shut down the longer I sat here. The smell of aged books filtered throughout the library and there was this persistent buzzing sound from the lights. For the longest time, I had my headphones glued to my ears. Mozart playing on a loop to keep me concentrated. But, if anything, it was only distracting me more. 

I only had three exams left until I was done for the Christmas holiday. It was insane to think that this semester was already over leaving me with only two and half years left. Only two hand a half more years until I walk across that stage and receive my diploma. I was already ready to be finished. 

Quickly, I search for my agenda. Today was Tuesday and I had my American literature exam Wednesday afternoon, my philosophy exam Thursday morning, leaving me with my comparative literature exam Friday morning. God - the longer I looked at these times and dates, the more stressed I became. 

This was going to be the longest week of my life. I already knew it. If I came out of this exam  week alive, I was going to throw the biggest party for one my apartment has ever seen. There will be cake, balloons and every Hugh Grant movie made. I will be wearing my best pajamas and every candle that I own will be lit... because why the hell not? Surviving exam week was something to be celebrated and celebrations begin with Notting Hill because I’d be crazy not to. 

I felt like this was going to be impossible. There was no way that my brain can retain all of this information. To be quite honest, Philosophy in itself was doing me in. I did not care one bit if this chair is really this chair. It’s a damn chair because I say it is. Why must you make me question it? Honestly.... how am I going to incorporate all of this mumble jumble into my teaching career. I want to teach foreign children English not become a Philosopher! 

If there was one thing that failing my Statistic class has taught me is that I need to take this seriously. I can’t slack off. I need to give it my hundred and ten precent into all of this. I can do it... I know that I can. I had to do this right... for my mother... for my dad.... for Hugh. 

I  open up a new word document, titling it “Hugh Grant Movies That Need To Be Watched After Exams”... it was a working title.

Notting Hill... Four Weddings and a Funeral... Bridget Jone’s Diary... Love Act-

“There you are,” a loud voice calls, causing me to jump out of my seat. 

“Shit,” I hiss, rubbing my now sore knee. I look up to see Presley taking a seat at my messy oasis. “What are you doing here?” I whispered harshly, the throbbing in my knee not settling. 

“To study?” She stated, completely unconcerned by the pain that she infused. “God, what happened here? You can barely see the table... You should really fix your study habits.” 

Presley pushes the swarms of paper to the side, completely messing with my system. But in true Presley fashion, she ignores it and sets down her laptop. 

“When did we make plans to study?” 

“Sunday night,” she claims, passing back one of my notebooks. “When you called to tell me about your date with Ryder. Don’t you remember?” 

“Yeah,” I lied. I had no recollection of making plans to study with her. I usually looked at studying as a solitude sport not a group activity, even though both Presley, Leah and Maggie thought otherwise. However, she was already here and there was no way that I was going to ask her to leave. “What are you studying?”