20 - Expulsion

"Been watching them for weeks. And see 'Dumbledore's Army'... proof of what I've been telling you right from the beginning, Cornelius," Umbridge spoke as she rushed in with Ministry officials.

The Slytherin that had captured Ellie passed her on to a rather young associate, his vivid red hair tucked away neatly underneath his hat. He carried himself awkwardly, his lanky figure attempting to appear dignified. Perhaps he was a Weasley, but Ellie noted that not every redhead she'd encounter would be part of that family. Along with Harry and the other Ministry officials, the group entered Dumbledore's office, in which they found the headmaster standing casually in front of his desk.

"All your fear-mongering about You-Know-Who never fooled us for a minute. We saw your lies for what they were: a smoke screen for your bid to seize control of the Ministry," Umbridge continued in a rash voice, her words now aimed at the headmaster.

"Naturally," Dumbledore responded calmly.

"No, Professor. He had nothing to do with it. It was me," Harry interrupted in defense.

"Most noble of you, Harry, to shield me. But as has been pointed out, the parchment clearly says 'Dumbledore's Army,' not 'Potter's.' I instructed Harry to form this organization. And I, and I alone, am responsible for its activities."

"Dispatch an owl to the Daily Prophet. If we hurry, we should still make the morning edition," Fudge announced. "Dawlish, Shacklebolt, you will escort Dumbledore... to Azkaban... to await trial for conspiracy and sedition."

Ellie's eyes widened at Dumbledore's punishment, looking to Harry for any ideas on how to halt it. The boy simply stared at the headmaster in shock, his mouth open as his mind raced with ideas to stall.

"I thought we might hit this little snag," Dumbledore chirped, seeming to be almost excited. "You seem to be laboring under the delusion that I'm going to... What was the phrase? ...Come quietly. Well, I can tell you this: I have no intention of going to Azkaban."

"Enough of this," Umbridge spoke harshly as she began to approach the headmaster. "Take him!"

Dumbledore winked at Harry before raising his hands up in the air as a fiery, red phoenix came swooping down to the clasped palms. Upon contact, the man disappeared with a powerful gust of wind that knocked over the Ministry officials. Those who had fallen quickly rose to their feet, brushing off the dust from their garments as Harry and Ellie cracked a small smile in astonishment.

"You may not like him, Minister... but you can't deny... Dumbledore has got style," Shacklebolt nodded.

Umbridge turned to face Harry and Ellie, who were still being held by the tall redhead.

"Miss Evans, I'm sure you recall me telling you that expulsion will be the consequence of deception. Now, would you care to tell me the true purpose of why you were in the Room of Requirement when I questioned you? There's no point in lying now."

Ellie narrowed her eyes at the woman, her fists clenching in anger. Her blood boiled as the two stared at each other, one with triumph and one with resentment. If Ellie wasn't being held back by the redhead, she was sure that Umbridge's snarky smile would be wiped off her face in an instant.

"You really want to know? I suggest you keep an eye on the students having sex in every empty room they can find," Ellie spat sarcastically, her body now enraged.

Umbridge's mouth opened to speak, but nothing came out. She seemed to be taken aback byEllie's response, her expression blank. Realizing that her accompanied party was still present, she backed away slowly, her eyebrows frowned at the Hufflepuff.

"Very well, then. You all are dismissed," Umbridge announced.

Harry and Ellie quickly exited the room, walking with long strides to put as much distance between them and the Ministry.

"So we're not expelled?"

"I don't think so," Ellie gritted her teeth in response, taking deep breaths in attempt to ease her rising emotions.

"I think your response surprised her a bit. Good thinking—you know, making her uncomfortable like that."

"Thanks. Well, I'm going to head back to my dorm now. Wouldn't want to risk any more trouble."

"Of course. Good night, Ellie."

Ellie nodded with a tight-lipped smile as she dismissed herself from Harry, heading down another corridor in the direction of the basement. As she slowed her pace, she caught a glimpse of blonde hair just a few yards away, his hands on his hips as he paced back and forth.

"What the hell, Draco?"

Ellie had stormed to the boy with returning anger, pressing the tip of her wand against his Adam's apple. He gulped with a slight hint of fear as he eyed the Hufflepuff through his bottom row of lashes.

"Evans, I can explain—"

"You better. Now, start talking."

"First of all, it wasn't my idea to blow the room up. And as for Marietta... I was simply instructed to hold her."

"I don't believe you," Ellie snapped sternly.

"Believe what you want, but I can promise you that I had no idea you were in there—"

"Are you that oblivious? You're seriously telling me you had no idea? Don't think I haven't noticed you and your goons stalking the Room of Requirement."

"I thought you only went in there to snog Granger!"

"Well, you thought wrong. Obviously, that wasn't my purpose, or else none of this would have happened."

"Even if, Evans, you weren't supposed to be the one getting caught. I thought I finally had Potter this time, but you just so happened to be there."

Ellie applied more pressure with her wand, making Draco's breath hitch out of fear.

"You can put down this damn act, Draco. No one's here. You don't have to prove yourself to anyone 'cause it's just you and me. Stop trying to be someone you're not—stop being such a bully."

Draco scoffed at Ellie's words, seeming to be amused with the Hufflepuff's claims.

"You think this is funny?" Ellie raised her voice. "I know you're scared—scared to let down your persona, scared for the world to see the true you."

"I'm not scared."

"Oh, really," Ellie chuckled sarcastically. "You want to play this game? Okay then. You don't want to be seen with me any longer than two minutes—hell, you don't want to be seen with anybody but your Slytherin posse. You lurk in the shadows—on the sidelines—and for what reason? I wouldn't be surprised if Harry's sheer luck may have benefited with your assistance."

"I would rather take a Bludger to the head than help any one of those so-called heroes," Draco spat defensively.

"You didn't out me, neither did you out Hermione. Admit it: you're too scared to admit that you want to be good."

"I would never help that mudblood."

"Don't call her that, ferret."

Draco huffed through his nose as he straightened his posture, his confident sneer reappearing on his face.

"I don't give a bloody hell what you assume," Draco recited as he pushed down Ellie's wand with the flat of his palm, freeing himself from the wood's threat. "Anyway, I've got important matters to attend to. So keep on making those assumptions—you know that you're only saying what you want to hear. And you better keep your nose out of Scar-Head's business."

While Draco made his casual exit, Ellie simply stood frozen in place, her confusion settling in. Although the Slytherin had taken part in endangering the Hufflepuff's friends, the lingering thought of somewhat-pure intentions rattled Ellie's brain.