Zadik

Suddenly, the agony faded. Sukara could breath again. Her face scrunched up as she winced at the bright light in front of her. She tried to shield her eyes with her hand in order to get a proper look at what it was. Squinting, she had a feeling of something familiar.

"Korra?" Sukara asked the light, as a figure appeared.

"Try again," the voice was calm and gentle. Masculine with a slight gravel to it.

Recognising it almost immediately, Sukara jumped back, unsure of what her brother would do to her if she gave him the chance.

"Zadik!" she exclaimed, stumbling to her feet as he stepping into clear view.

He hadn't changed at all. It was to be expected of course, he died the same time she did. His hair was still a darker brown than Sukara's and shaved at both sides. The length at the top pulled neatly into a wolf's tail. His face was till young, having only just left his teens when it happened, the clean cut, handsome look was preserved in his features.

"I'm not going to hurt you," Zadik reassured her, holding his hands up in surrender, "I'm here to help you."

"Why?"

"Because you're my big sister," he smiled as he came towards her, only to sit down opposite her, "and I love you. Because you're in pain and I don't want you to be."

"Well someone's changed their tune," Sukara scoffed as she took a seat on the floor opposite him, "what happened to 'I'd give my life a thousand times to stop you'?"

"That was harsh of me," he chuckled a little as he remembered how serious he had sounded.

"You're telling me! That was so mean," Sukara laughed, relaxing a little as they spoke, "it haunts my dreams."

"I'm sorry," he smiled, he looked a little guilty. He had never wanted to hurt her, in truth he hadn't know what the ritual was, he just knew it would stop her.

"Don't be," Sukara smiled, bringing her knees up to her chest, "I hurt you plenty of times, I'm sure I can get over a snide comment."

"But you're my sister," Zadik sighed, a concerned frown on his face, "I should have tried to reach out to you. I should have tried to help you."

"You did," Sukara told him, reaching out for his hand, "you tried to bring me home from the university when it first started but I didn't listen. I was bitter and stubborn but, I should've listen to you about Mushi."

Zadik didn't say anything, he just sat and looked at his sister. She looked the same but she had changed so much. Sukara had never been this understanding before. She had always had a one track mind, not considering other options, but now it seemed like her mind had opened up.

"I'm the eldest," Sukara said softly, leaning forward to put her hand on her brother's shoulder, "I should have protected us, protected you from our mother."

"I didn't need it," Zadik said quickly, not wishing to think back on their family history. "It was always you who she went after."

"I can never know how scared you must have been," Sukara continued, "knowing what she was capable of, praying it never happened to you. I met someone that allowed me to understand that fear, and for that I will always be grateful to her. But I'm sorry it took me so long to see it. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you."

"You're forgiven," Zadik smiled, putting his arms around his sister and pulling her close, "we should've been there for each other and we weren't. If we had, maybe this wouldn't have happened but, it's too late to go back."

Sukara nodded as she buried her face in his shoulder. She hadn't hugged her brother in a long time, and even when she had, she hadn't meant it like this. She allowed the tears fall from her eyes. Sukara wasn't sure what they were from, was is relief? Grief? Sadness? Happiness? She didn't know.

"Now, promise me something," Zadik said, pulling back a little and wiping the tears from Sukara's eyes.

His own trickled down his cheeks as he steadied his breathing.

"Promise me that everyday," he told her, "everyday, you'll show Korra how grateful I am that she's giving us a second chance."

Sukara smiled at her little brother, his eyes were still the dazzling blue they always had been, "I will, I promise."

#####

Sukara's body relaxed back down against the healing bath. Kuvira caught her and laid her back down gently as Korra woke back up.

"Did it work?" Kuvira asked, her voice shaking as she stroked over Sukara's hair.

"I think so," Korra said, getting up out of the bath, "I'm not--"

Korra was cut off as Sukara began to stir again. Iroh II jumped forward and pulled Kuvira away as they waited for the surge but, it wasn't the same as before. Sukara's right arm shot out to her side and channelled the lightening out of her body and into a blast against the floor, leaving lightening shaped burns all the way down her arm. With a heavy breath out, Sukara's consciousness faded again.

"I think that was it," Iroh told Kuvira, giving her a tap on the shoulder as he let her go, "she should be able to heal properly now."