~4~

It was Monday afternoon and Nathan and Brighid were getting their daily workouts in. Their father made sure the two worked out.

Nathan was benching while Brighid was squatting.

"Working out you two, good. Nathan what are you benching?" Dan asked.

"Not 160" Nathan responded.

"Your mother called, she won't be home until next week" Dan announced. Brighid rolled her eyes, her mother was never home. Not lately at least.

"So what do you know about Whitey inviting-" Dan began but was cut off by Nathan.

"Your son to play" Nathan finished.

"Hey don't call him that" Dan said as he finished putting more weight on Nathan's bar. Brighid stopped her squats to grab a sip of water.

"He has our last name dad" Brighid commented.

"I know we haven't talked about this much but the last name is wishfully thinking on his mother's part. We were young, something after high school it was a mistake" Dan said grabbing the bar and placing it down.

"Oh so you can make that mistake but I-" Brighid began.

"You should have know better" Dan said with a raised eyebrow.

"It's just screwed up, people talk about it" Nathan said changing the subject. He tried to lift the bar with more weight on it bu struggled. Dan frustrated switched with Nathan.

"I want you to go to this kid. Encourage him not to play"

"I'm not afraid of him dad"

"You should be! We've worked way to hard for anyone to come in a take offense, take away shots and anyway this has more to do with Whitey and me than it has to do with you"

"It's always we right" Brighid commented smiling at Nathan.

"What was Whitey asking you about at the game anyways?" Dan asked sitting up on the bench.

"Oh, just why I quit basketball. The girls coach is begging for me back"

"You should return, show them they need you" Dan said with a crazed look in his eyes.

"That wasn't the deal dad" Brighid sternly said.

"The deal was dumb, basketball is your passion"

"That's where you're wrong, it's always been yours" Brighid said grabbing her bottle of water and walking out of the workout room.
———
"Hi Tim" Brighid flatly greeted as she walked into the kitchen.

"Brighid back already, looking hotter than ever" Tim commented.

"Hey man, that's my sister" Nathan said disgusted smacking Tim on his chest.

"So your pops finally mentioned the bastard's mom Uh?" Tim questioned.

"Tim" Brighid snapped, it was rude to describe anyone like that.

"C'mon Brig, it's true" Tim responded shoving peanuts in his mouth. "I hurried he's got game. Maybe we could use him"

"Look man, I could get us to the state championship with three blind guys and a cripple. Which is practically what I got with you and what's left" Nathan jabbed. Tim being the idiot he was laughed.

"Come on Brighid, let's go say hi to our brother" Nathan called out from the front door. Brighid slide on her jacket and shoved a brownie into her mouth as they stepped outside.

Nathan pulled up to the old basketball court on the River. It's views were the nicest thing about it.

She hopped out of the car and sat on the hood waiting to what was going to happen. Nathan grabbed the basketball tucking it under his armpit as he stepped closer.

He circled him a few times before dropping the ball at his feet.

"So?" Brighid asked as they all slid into the car.

"He'll take the bait, don't worry" Nate said confidently as he pulled away.