Chapter 6 - You should have turned left

He continued staring at her while Evie's panicked mind struggled to come up with a plan.

The smirk he flashed her promised pain. She felt her legs shake as he deliberately removed his belt, keeping his eyes on her.

"Miss me?" He teased, as he whipped the belt against his hand. The loud crack caused her to jump and close her eyes against the tears.

She was trapped in a room with the most terrifying man she had ever met.

She kept her eyes pinned on his hauntingly alluring gaze as she moved slowly towards the door.

"Oh, you want to play?" He asked. "How about we make it interesting?"

She darted to the door and her shaking grip giggled the handle. Her body shook from impact as he slammed his hands on either side of her head, slamming the door closed.

He pressed his toned chest against her back, pinning her to the door. "Now, now. I haven't explained the rules of the game yet."

She shivered as he slowly ran his fingers down her arm leaving behind a trail of goosebumps. "If you can make it to the back door, I'll let you go."

She stiffened at his words. "How do I know you're telling the truth?" She whispered.

"I never lie," he declared, as he stepped away from her.

She didn't bother looking back as she grabbed the handle and flung the door open. She couldn't hear anything besides her pounding heart and loud breathing as she plummeted the stairs two at a time. As soon as she reached the bottom she grabbed onto the railing and launched herself at the front door.

Unsurprisingly it was locked, and she didn't waste time trying to pry it open. Spinning around, she strumbled over her own feet.

Her blood ran cold at the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs. She bolted to her right, into the kitchen, but couldn't see the back door. She continued into the next room, which appeared to be the living room. The clicking sound of shoes hitting the kitchen tiles had her scurrying behind the sofa.

She peered around the sofa only to be met by an empty room. She scanned the room and felt an overwhelming sense of hopelessness when she didn't see the back door.

"You should have turned left," He mocked in her ear.

She gasped and attempted to stand up and run, but was roughly grabbed by her ankle and yanked back down onto the floor.

She cried out as she landed on her hands and knees and tried to crawl away, her kicking legs were pinned to the floor by his large hands. She was grabbed by the hair and forcefully yanked backwards. A loud cry escaped her lips as the belt he had threatened her with earlier was wrapped around her throat.

He pulled the belt, tight enough to restrict her breathing but not hard enough to truly choke her. She started to thrash around as panic set in. As she started to fight back, she once again felt his body against her back.

"You were so close," he clucked, as he grabbed her by the waist. "But I'm glad you didn't make it. If you were gone then there would be no one to play with."

By this point, she was frantically trying to grab onto the belt to relieve the pressure, but her fingers couldn't manage to grab hold. He slightly relaxed his hold on the belt causing her to sigh in relief as her panic subsided.

"Why are you doing this?" She managed to ask, as she rested her head against his shoulder, hoping the gesture would cause him to feel some kind of empathy.

"Why?" He brought his lips to her ear. "Because I find humiliation to be the most entertaining form of torture."

She tensed as he started to slowly kiss a path down her neck. He stopped in the crevice, where her neck met her shoulder, only to lick and suck on the sensitive skin. She squirmed in horror when she felt his obvious excitement against her back. "See. It really gets me off."

"You're sick," Evie spat.

She felt his whole body move as he released a genuine laugh. "No shit, Princess. At least I can admit it, unlike pretty boy."

He finally released his grip on the belt and got to his feet. She threw the belt to the floor and rubbed her neck.

"I'm hungry," He announced casually while unbuttoning his shirt. "Since you're already down here you can cook me dinner."

She hesitantly got to her feet and put some distance between them.

"Just do as I say and don't test my patience," He warned, before walking into the kitchen.

She turned her head towards where she assumed the back door was.

"Do I need to come in there and get you?" his deep voice drifted into the dining room.

Her gaze shifted forward to see him leaning against the kitchen counter. His shirt was now completely unbuttoned, offering a glimpse of the hard abs underneath. His hazel eyes had narrowed in warning.

"No," She responded quietly, as she walked into the kitchen.

She watched as he turned around and dug through the freezer, before dropping two porterhouse steaks on the counter. "The bigger one is mine, you can have the smaller one."

"Potatoes are in that cupboard," he said while gesturing with one hand, and pouring a glass of bourbon with the other.

She picked up the steaks and popped them in the microwave to defrost before retrieving a few potatoes and starting to peel them in the sink.

She coughed when a cloud of cigarette smoke wafted in her direction.

"Problem, kitten?" He teased.

She turned around and chose to avoid voicing her distaste for cigarette smoke. "What about beans?"

Her question earned her a raised eyebrow. "What about them?"

"Well.. they would go well with the steaks and potatoes."

He took a deep drag of his cigarette and slowly exhaled in her direction. She coughed and shooed the smoke away with her hand.

"No. Beans taste like shit," He replied, before quickly downing his drink and pouring another.

She turned around to continue preparing dinner. "I've never heard Branton swear before."

"Yeah well, I bet you've never had him touch you the way I have either," He retorted, causing her face to become bright red.

"Not like it was consensual," She muttered under her breath. 

She heard him snicker but ignored him, busying herself with cutting the potatoes. She eyed the sharp knife in her hand. She gazed over her shoulder to see he was watching her closely. He flashed her a wink.

She turned around, her eyes wide. 

He wants her to try.

She put the potatoes in the oven and forced herself to turn around and confront his lingering gaze.

She cleared her throat as curiosity got the better of her. "What's your name?"

He stared at her for a few seconds before shrugging. "Don't have one."

"You remind me of Rex."

"Who?" He asked, before taking another drag.

"When I was young I had a dog named Rex. He was very unpredictable, he would often snap at me if I went near his food or toys."

He frowned and started to advance towards her. "You're comparing me to a dog?" He spat.

She took a step backwards and held up her hands. "No, not the dog! Just the way I felt around him."

Her answer made him smirk. "And how was that?"

"Anxious, wondering when he'd lash out. And terrified when he did."

He stopped in front of her and ran his hand through her hair. "Then Rex it is."