Schools

When they went down to breakfast on the morning of the thirtieth of October, they found that the Great Hall had been decorated overnight. Enormous silk banners hung from the walls, each of them representing a Hogwarts House. It seemed Dumbledore was attempting to show prowess.

Hari was sitting next to the twins in the great hall the next morning when Ron, and Hermione joined them.

"You two got any ideas on the Triwizard Tournament yet?" Ron asked as he sat down. "Thought any more about trying to enter?" Hari and Hermione looked at each other as the boys started again.

"I asked McGonagall how the champions are chosen but she wasn't telling," said George bitterly. "She just told me to shut up and get on with transfiguring my raccoon."

"Wonder what the tasks are going to be?" said Ron thoughtfully. "You know, I bet we could do them, Hari. We've done dangerous stuff before."

#)No! Stop trying to get me to.(#

"Ok ok!"

"And not in front of a panel of judges, you haven't," said Fred to Ron. "McGonagall says the champions get awarded points according to how well they've done the tasks."

"Who are the judges?" Ron asked.

"Well, the Heads of the participating schools are always on the panel," said Hermione,"It's all in Hogwarts, A History. Though, of course, that book's not entirely reliable. A Revised History of Hogwarts would be a more accurate title. Or A Highly Biased and Selective History of Hogwarts, Which Glosses Over the Nastier Aspects of the School."

"What are you on about?" said Ron.

"House-elves!" said Hermione, her eyes flashing. "Not once, in over a thousand pages, does Hogwarts, A History mention that we are all colluding in the oppression of a hundred slaves!"

#) Hermione if you're so insistent I'll take you to the kitchens some time this week. (# Hari said, resigned to her fate.

"REALLY!?" Hermione asked, excited.

#) Yeah, you might as well have them reject it themselves. (#

•  •  •

When they were dismissed early for the arrival of the other schools, they hurried up to Gryffindor Tower, deposited their bags and books as they had been instructed, pulled on their cloaks, and rushed back downstairs into the entrance hall.

They were organized by house by their heads.

"Weasley, straighten your hat," Professor McGonagall snapped at Ron. "Potter stop trying to hide you scar so much that you hide your entire face." Hari quickly brushed her hair out of hr face. "Miss Patil, take that ridiculous thing out of your hair."

Parvati scowled and removed a large ornamental butterfly from the end of her plait.
"Follow me, please," said Professor McGonagall. "First years in front. . . no pushing..'

It was a cold, clear evening. They scanned the darkening grounds excitedly wondering how they would arrive. 

Then something large appeared in the sky, flying over the forbiddon forest was a giant blue horse drawn carriage. The horses, a dozen of them, must have been the size of at least elephants. 

The carriage landed, bouncing upon its vast wheels, while the golden horses tossed their enormous heads and rolled large, fiery red eyes. The door of the carriage which bore a coat of arms of two crossed, golden wands, each emitting three stars; opened.