VII - Clone

'Okay, so let me get this straight,' you say, after the Doctor had spent a good five minutes explaining regeneration to you. 'You're a 1000 year old timelord from Gallifrey who avoids death by regenerating. You've done it ten times now, and they're all in the other room.'

'I think you've got it.'

'Well you'll have to forgive me for taking such a while to wrap my head around it,' you reply, standing maybe a little too quickly. 'It's not the sort of thing you hear everyday,'

'Well no, I suppose it isn't,' the Doctor replies, wiping a cupped hand down his face slowly to form an exasperated expression as he thinks about what could possibly come next.

'Well, you know what we have to do now, don't you?'

'There's actually quite a few options I've been considering, but you tell me,'

'We need to go and get Amy and Rory, Doctor. They'll be gutted if they miss all of this for one, and do you really think we can do this alone?'

The Doctor ponders over what you've said for a minute, before drumming his fingers on the side of his face repetitively as he comes to a conclusion.

'Really, Doctor?' you finally interject after quite a while of watching the cogs whir inside his head. 'The decision to include two of your three companions shouldn't take this long,'

'Well,' he asserts, standing fast and heading back towards the room with the many Doctors in without a second thought. 'I don't think I will wake them up then,'

He folds his arms like a stropping toddler and storms down the hallway, muttering to himself about how 'you think you know him so well' and that 'he's not that predictable'.

'You so are, Doctor,'

A flutter of delicate footsteps followed him down the now slightly more ominous corridor, and caught up to the pouting timelord just far enough away from the door for it to be worth snaking the arm closest to him underneath the link in his, and placing your hand on his lower forearm.

'It's fine. We can do this without them if you like,' you smile up at the slowly simmering Doctor as his face begins to settle back down from such an intense pout. 'Besides, I wouldn't want to be the one to open the door- especially on their honeymoon.'

'Too right,' the Doctor almost physically shudders at the thought, before the two of you reach the door- or what you thought was the door- to where the other two Doctors would be working to identify the nature of the scanning droids from the foyer. You place a firm hand on the handle, and turn to the Doctor slowly before beginning to twist.

'I'm pretty sure that's not the right door. Well, not right for what we need. Probably right for someone.'

'No, I'm pretty sure this is the one. I counted. Four doors down from the left,'

You push open the surprisingly light ivory coloured door, expecting to be immediately greeted by the two gentlemen from before. Instead, the door flung open to reveal something else. Something you thought was quite a bit worse.

[-]

Standing just beside the bed in this room was something you could never have predicted. Well, maybe in such an interesting day you could- but the you that left Leadworth first things this morning would never have expected what lay before you.

Either it was your own clone, or an incredibly good mirror.

The two of you lock eyes as you step closer into the room, scanning each other meticulously. As the Doctor peeks his head round the door, he finds the two of you circling around each other, like some sort of Spanish dance, before you begin to speak.

'How are you here?'

You decided that was a good first question for a clone. You couldn't ask who put them here- chances are they wouldn't know and that'd awaken some sort of creation based existential crisis. Anything else, you likely already knew.

'I could ask the same of you,' the clone replies. Great, you thought. She got your stubbornness.
The Doctor suddenly throws himself into the middle of the circle the two of you had formed, and jumps a little as the door slams quietly behind him. He uses his sonic to cautiously scan you, before reading the information on the sonic. 'Sorry.' He smiles apologetically before turning towards the other you. 'Wrong one,'.

He repeats the action again, before backing up towards you and allowing you to read the sonic over his shoulder.

PERSONIFIED... ERROR

'Error?' you question, looking up at the Doctor for guidance.

He hits the sonic against the palm of his hand, trying to get some more readings out of the device. After a while of incessant hitting, you take it from his hand and place it delicately in the inside pocket of his jacket. He attempts to protest, but after a wide-eyed glare, he got the message.

'Let's go see whether you figured something out in the other room, huh?' you speak slightly patronisingly to him in a mimicking fashion.

'Why are you speaking to me like that?' he asks as you usher him out of the door.

'Because if you start acting like a toddler, I'll start treating you like one,' you reply, smiling. He screws his face up in sarcastic retaliation as you get to the door.

'I'm going to go and speak to my clone-thing, wait for me here,'

You keep him slightly in the room- you didn't trust this hotel to not scoop him up in some people-forklift or otherwise if you left him in the corridor. You wanted to keep an eye on him- or rather, wanted to make sure he was there to keep an eye on you.

'So, me,' you start, taking a more friendly approach than before. 'I'm going to need you to do me a favour,'

She nods for you to continue.

'First of all, before I get into the whole favour thing, what do I call you?'

'Well, my name. [Y/N].'

'Yes but I'm [Y/N],' you reply. 'That'll just be mega confusing,'

'Fine. Just call me 'Clone' then. Doesn't matter anyway, nothing does,'

'I will, for sake of ease, but I don't like that tone, Clone, so stop it. Anyway, the favour bit. I have a feeling I'll need your help later, but until then, I'm going to need you to stay right here, is that okay?'

'Yeah sure,' Clone mumbles almost indecipherably. You smile thankfully in response, before waving happily at Clone, and taking the Doctor's hand as you step out into the hallway.

'Let's see what you've found, shall we?'