Chapter 20 - Mabeasts Attack

(Y/n Pov)

I was taking care of the kids, checking if there were any wounds on them. I could find using Lumea Vindeca, the mana that surrounds my body flew to every kids as I started treating them.

Subaru: "It's the kids! And Y/n, too!"

I couldn't break off my concentration yet, so I didn't say anything to them and focused on healing those kids.

Subaru: "She's alive. Y/n must have been healing her. I can see her complexion is growing better—the same with others too. They're alive!"

Rem: "No, they're still breathing now, even with Y/n healing—their body re very weak. If left alone..."

Subaru: "Weak... The curse? And we finally found them... Rem, can't you undo it?"

Rem: "I lack the skill for this. If only my sister were here to see them-"

Suddenly, black mists appeared where the bite mark was. I didn't know why, but I could care less. Taking this as a chance, I grabbed each and every one of the black mists and destroyed it.

Letting out a sigh, I was met with an angry Rem.

Rem: "That was very dangerous for you to go alone in the forest, you know?!"

Y/n: "A-Ah... But it was your fault—you guys were taking too long to argue with each other, while innocents lives are at stake.

She raised her hand, and as I thought something worse would happen, I closed my eyes and prepared for the impact—but there was none. I felt something touching my head as I slowly opened my eyes and saw Rem's smiling face as she patted my head.

Rem: "But... I'm glad you're safe and saved those kids."

Feeling my cheeks heated up, I looked away and hid my head under my scarf—hiding myself from embarrassment. Seeing this, Rem laughed at me as we heard a young female voice.

???: "Subaru?"

Subaru: "You're awake, Petra? All right, good. You're a tough girl. Don't overdo it, though. I'll take you back home, where you can say goodbye to the pain. Just rest for-"

Petra: "One is... still... in the..."

She couldn't manage to finish her sentence as she passed out.

Subaru: "Hey, what'd you say? Petra! Damn it, she's right. I don't see the little girl with the braid."

Rem: "P-Please, wait! It's too dangerous. And if that mabeasts took her, it's already..."

Subaru: "I get what you're saying! I do! But, Rem... Petra says another girl was taken away. She showed concern for her friend before asking for my help. She put her friend before herself! I want to respect Petra's feelings. If you take something on, you should make the effort to it all on."

Rem: "If you get too greedy. You might take on more than you can carry back."

Y/n: "That's why I'm going with him. To help him carry it. While we do so, Rem, can you take care of the kids until the village shows up?"

Staring at her blue eyes, I could see her concern ver me. I don't know why people are so overprotective sometimes these days, but there is one thing I know of. And that is to bring the last piece back to the rest of them to complete the set.

Y/n: "I'll be fine, don't worry. If everything goes wrong, I can always use Subaru as a meat shield."

Subaru: "Hey! Who are you calling a meat shield!"