~7~

Brighid was in her first class of the day and was already mentally done.

"You know early in his career Hemingway was frustrated. He was a good writer who wanted to be great and eventually he discovered that less was more... Peyton describe Lucas using just one word"

"Choke" Peyton said after pondering on the question for a minute. The class oooed and ahhhhed at her response.

"Okay, quiet please. Thank you. Lucas care to respond and describe Peyton"

"Lonely" Lucas responded.

Nathan immediately shot his hand up. Brighid knew Nathan wasn't going to hold back.

"Yes? Nathan?" The teacher said.

"I can describe Lucas in one word. Bastard" Nathan stated with a grin. Lucas immediately jumped up from his desk, pushing Nathan to the ground. The two began to throw punches at each other. Brighid was baffled and Peyton was wide-eyed. She began to regret saying her word.

"Knock it off" the teacher kept repeating unsure of how to handle the situation. Lucas and Nathan were both pulled apart and sent to the principal's office.

"Let's continue"
———
Brooke had dragged Brighid to Peyton's house to hang out.

"Hey" Brighid awkwardly greeted as she walked into Peyton's room.

"Hey" Peyton responded with a smile. Brooke immediately jumped onto Peyton's bed shuffling through her music collection.

"You know it's too bad Lucas is poor and he can't play because he is fine" Brooke commented emphasizing the last word.

Brighid made a face at Brooke's comment.

"Oh, come on. Admit it, if he wasn't your half-brother you'd be all over him" Brooke teased.

"Whatever" Brighid responded plopping down next to Brooke looking over at the music.

"Hey, did you buy the new Beyoncé?" Brooke teased Peyton trying to get her to interact.

"No" Peyton said meanly.

"You know Peyton, I know your all Gwen Stefani, plaid skirt, I'm a badass but we love you anyways because you know why? Cause Friday night when it's game time you there you are. One of us"

"P.S, Gwen Stefani is not a badass"

"No she just has better taste in music" Brighid joked getting both of them to laugh.

"You two ever look past it?" Peyton randomly asked.

"Past what?" Brighid asked looking at the back of a CD Brooke had handed her.

"Past high school, basketball and the whole popularity drama?" Peyton asked looking slightly concerned.

"Yeah, I mean I think about the future sometimes and it scares me" Brooke commented putting the cds of music she had been looking through down on the bed. "But then I think, I'll go to college, join the right sorority and marry a rich guy"

"How shallow Brooke" Brighid commented. Brooke smiled and the three returned to talking about things less worrying some and adult like.

An hour later a car horn blared outside.

"That's my dad" Brighid said hopping off the bed.

"Already? Geez you come back and it's like your on some leash" Brooke commented.

"He's just being annoying. He'll ease up. I'll see you guys later" Brighid said grabbing her bag and heading downstairs and out the front door.

"Have fun?" Dan asked as she jumped into the passenger seat.

"Yeah, could I have stayed for like an hour longer?" Brighid asked as Dan pulled away.

"Trust, show me you follow rules and then we can talk" Dan negotiated. Brighid rolled her eyes, it was one of the only skills her dad was actually good at.