VIII. The Bow & The Bowman

Dark met dark in the form of two pairs of intimidating eyes. Lucien and the stranger gave each other silent warning, prepared if either of them made a move. They both felt threatened though one seemed slightly more unfazed then the other.

Lucien glared, being without a weapon made him wonder what to do with his hands as they simply remained at his sides. "Who are you?" His voice dropped into a low growl, his black eyes narrowing further piercing with potential malice and an obvious threat.

The stranger raised his eyebrows almost mockingly, lowering his bow, "Shouldn't I be asking that? I'm the one with the weapon. Who are you?"

Lucien scrutinized the human's appearance. Ragged, dirty and quite slim but something about him gave off the feel of elegance and authority. His dark hair was long and greasy but his eyes were deep and haunting. Lucien didn't know what to make of this stranger.

"Lucien." The wizard stated after a moment of complete silence, the only sound being the flowing river behind them and the loud breathing of his fellow companions that were watching closely.

"Lucien?" The man questioned, "Like the wizard?"

The one in question nodded, "Aye, that is me."

"I've heard of you," The human mused, walking around the wizard and the company to grab one of the barrels, inspecting it, "My mother used to tell me stories of the green wizard. I was not expecting you to look like a teenager, however."

Lucien huffed in annoyance, "Yeah. I get that a lot." Catching the gaze of Ori he rolled his eyes causing the young dwarf to let out a small giggle that he tried to cover behind his hand.

"Excuse me, but um," Balin stepped forward, ". . . You're from Lake-town if I'm not mistaken? That barge over there, it wouldn't be available for hire by any chance?" He sounded hopeful and he was, he was much too optimistic for his own good.

"What makes you think I would help you?" The barrels were placed onto the barge one by one, the man having no difficulty in lifting them.

Balin looked down at his worn shoes, "Those boots have seen better days, as has that coat." He pointed out, "No doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed? How many bairns?"

The man turned to look down at the older dwarf with a white beard, "A boy and two girls." He answered honestly. That was quite a few kids for a poor town, too many people and too little food, it never adds up.

"And your wife," Balin went on, "I imagine, she's a beauty?"

"Aye, she was." The human's face fell and so did Lucien's and Balin's after hearing this. Sickness was probably running rampant through Lake-town's streets, taking those that are unsuspecting and leaving the ones it should take. It happens all over the world.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

Dwalin pushed forward, passing the tall wizard to stand in front of the stranger with dark hair, "Oh, come on, come on. Enough with the niceties."

Lucien huffed and left the crowding few to check on Kili, as well as Fili who was fussing over his brother nearby. Kili's hand grabbed onto his leg, just above his wound, tightly as if it would dull the pain if he distracted himself with a different kind of pain. Lucien didn't blame Fili for being so worried, he was shot with a black arrow with only a day or two before the poison would take over his entire body.

Lucien walked over and crouched down next to them, "Feeling great?"

Kili looked up appearing fatigued beyond belief but held a smile all the same. "You know it." He chuckled quietly. Fili grinned, appreciating the wizard's comments.

"Well, you're looking great." Lucien laughed, patting the dwarf's shoulder lightly.

The blonde dwarf hummed in fake thought, "I'd have to disagree with the wizard, brother. You look terrible." Joking was a great way to distract someone from anything and it seemed to be working as Kili continued to laugh at his friend's and brother's jests.

"Boys! Let's go!" Thorin called them, already on the barge and waiting for the others.

Lucien and Fili helped Kili stand and walked him over, receiving a hand from the others as they pulled him up onto the barge with a little effort. 

After checking no one was left behind, Lucien was the last to board. Turning to step up, he found that a hand was out waiting for him to grab and he did without question. He was easily yanked on board and into the chest of a rather tall individual. Obviously not a dwarf. Lucien found himself staring up at the same brown eyes. What was with him and staring into people's eyes? He guessed it was because he loved the connection he felt whenever he did, it made him feel special.

"Thanks." The wizard coughed, stepping back slightly.

The man cleared his throat and nodded, "Yeah. It's, uh, Bard by the way."

Lucien smiled boyishly, "Thank you, Bard. For taking us with you, I mean."

They both averted their eyes to the company, seeing some staring at them and others messing around. Thorin and Dwalin, however, simply chose to glare openly and Lucien could not tell if it was just at Bard or both of them. "Don't mention it."

Bard left while the wizard strolled over to the grumpy pair, sitting in between them, crossing his arms and dramatically pouting to match their expression. They both eyed him with confusion and annoyance.

Thorin sighed, "Yes Lucien?"

The wizard perked up at his name, "What?"

"Have you a problem?"

"Not at all."

The dwarf prince groaned, "Why do I bother?"

Lucien shrugged, "Because you are extremely fond of me Thorin Oakenshield." He grinned.

The others watched in amusement, knowing Lucien was trying to get a rise out of their leader but Thorin also seemed to be able to handle the wizard's teasing behaviour, choosing not to react. Bard found it unusual, he had heard about Lucien all throughout his childhood and he had told those stories to his children in return. He appeared so young with dark features and tan skin, something completely different to anyone he had ever seen. He didn't know what to make of the wizard.

The barge passed through the water effortlessly, rocks and boulders on either side, just waiting to be hit and for them to sink to the bottom of the river. It wasn't a good thought but it was an honest and possible one. Anything could happen on this journey.

Their surroundings grew foggy with the mist that covered the top of the water and obstructed their vision, it made the dwarves immensely nervous for their well-being. Lucien, though, was having a grand time as he leaned over the edge of the boat dangerously, thankfully he wasn't singing but it would probably be better than the ominous silence around them.

"Don't fall now, laddie," Gloin warned.

Lucien sat up from dragging his hand through the water and smirked, "Wouldn't dream of it, Gloin. Wouldn't want to leave you all helpless without me."