Chapter 4

Dusty continued running. He would not rest until he found a cave to rest in. Flame felt as if she were being kidnapped and squirmed vigorously, trying to break free.

     "Let me go!" She angrily growled.

     Dusty ignored Flame and just kept walking, as if he did not care about her. She wondered where the grizzly was taking her.

     "I said let me go!" Flame repeated, hoping Dusty would listen and happily comply.

     The grizzly still did not reply. Why wouldn't he answer her? Flame felt as if she were invisible and decided not to talk anymore.

     Dusty could not communicate while he held Flame in his jaws. For he feared he would pierce his teeth into her flesh. Luckily, he carried the fox as if she were a bear cub. Just as any mother would.

     He walked and walked until he spotted a large stone cave. The grizzly wondered if any bears were hibernating in there or not. Flame feared Dusty would kill her and hide her body in the cave. The thought of it sent a shiver down her spine.

     "I guess this it," Flame assumed as she thought of the death that awaited her.

     Dusty stopped staring at the cave and walked towards it. Flame could hear her heart beat faster and faster. She did not want to die yet. She had not thanked Moon for saving her life. How would Flame repay the favor if she died?

     The grizzly decided to inspect the cave and find out if there were any animals living in it. He slowly walked inside and checked to see if there were any animals sleeping. Fortunately, the large grizzly did not spot any animals.

     Dusty sighed in relief and carefully placed Flame on the hard rocky ground. He detached his jaws and wondered if she had any injuries. The bear gently stroked her fur, as if he were the fox's mother.

     "What are you doing?" Flame nervously asked Dusty.

     "I'm checking to see if you have any injuries," The grizzly said, as he continued to stroke her fur.

    "Ok?" Flame nervously replied. She did not know what to think of Dusty. Why hadn't he killed her? Did a part of him care for the young fox? Perhaps that was the reason he had brought her here, away from large predators.

     The grizzly did not spot any injuries on Flame and stopped stroking her beautiful bright fur.

     "Dusty?" Flame kindly asked the compassionate bear.

     "Yes, little fox?"

     "Why did you save me?" The fox asked, as she stared at the grizzly's large face.

     Without hesitating, Dusty quickly replied, "Because I could never kill such innocent prey."

     The little fox never expected to hear those words and gladly smiled. Perhaps she could trust this grizzly bear? After all, she owed him for saving her life.

     Flame decided to return the kind gesture by hugging the large grizzly bear. She placed her small paws on Dusty's thighs and wagged her bushy bright tail. They both smiled and forgot what they were talking about.

     At that moment, Dusty thought of telling Flame about his childhood. He only hoped she would listen. And since she had nothing better to do, it seemed like a good idea. Therefore, he decided to go for it.

     As Flame opened her mouth, Dusty cleared his throat and began to speak.

     "Flame?" He asked the beautiful little fox.