The Truth Behind The Lies

"No! Please don't make me do this! Please!" She screamed at the top of her lungs, her anguish plain as the nose on her face.

"You have to. If you don't you'll die. It's not as bad you think it is," was her sister's reply.

"How can you say that?" The incredulity of the situation only heightened her pain.

"Just get it over with. I promise you'll feel so much better when it's over."

She was stunned into silence. Her whole body felt as though it was on fire, every movement agony. She knew what she had to do to end it. But she didn't know if she was willing to. She let out a scream in pain. 

Her sister grabbed the front of her dress. "Don't be a child!" she snarled. "Just do it. Who cares about one life when you have all of eternity?"

She sobbed as she raised the dagger to his throat. He flinched, though he didn't try to break free, her song still holding him under her spell. With one flick of the wrist, a sea of red began to drip down her arm. The man collapsed in a pool of blood, and she fell to her knees beside him. 

"See? Isn't it beautiful?" Her sister asked. "Don't pretend to be someone you're not, sister. You're just as much of a monster as I am."

Then her sister smiled a wicked sort of smile, before lunging at her, grabbing her by the throat and squeezing.

Genevieve woke up in a tangle of sheets, dripping with sweat. Her breaths were coming out in hard pants, her lungs struggling to fill with air. Her head was pounding as she swung her legs over the side of the bed. Just for once, she wanted to sleep without being woken by a nightmare. She set her feet on the cool, marble floor, stretching as she stood up. She left her room and walked quietly down the stairs, being careful not to wake anyone else, making her way to the kitchen. She opened a cabinet and pulled out a bottle of whiskey, pouring herself a glass, and taking the bottle with her. She started to walk back towards the stairs, when she noticed someone sitting out on the terrace.

"Alaric?"

Alaric turned his head as she approached, lifting his glass in greeting, before turning back to watch the waves crash on the beach, the moon casting its pale light on the water.

"What are you doing out here?" she asked.

"Couldn't sleep. What about you?"

Gen shrugged. "I couldn't sleep either. I thought I'd find something to calm my nerves," she explained as she took the seat next to him.

"Can I ask you something?" he said, breaking the silence.

"Of course."

"Why do you...repress your vampire and siren instincts to drink blood? I mean, isn't it difficult."

Gen blinked. "Yes, it is, actually. But...I've had issues in the past, and I know that if I were to drink blood...let's just say that Circe would be the least of your problems."

"What happened?"

"I'd rather not say," she admitted, "because I'm afraid if I do...you'll see me differently. You'll be afraid of me. And I couldn't bear that."

"Why, Gen? Why do you hide behind your mask? Why do you spin these beautiful lies, to try and hide who you really are?" 

"Because Klaus was right. Who I really am...is a monster. And not just any monster, but the kind that other monsters fear."

They fell into silence again, sitting there watching the waves. But this time, it was Genevieve who broke the silence.

"Alaric, I want to thank you. Even though, in my time, we haven't known each other very long, I consider you one of my closest friends. And that is saying something, because I don't really have friends. If I'm being honest...I consider you family. And I want to say thank you for never looking at me differently, for never treating me differently, and for always being there for me." Her voice broke at the last word. 

Alaric wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close. "Of course, Genevieve. You can always count on me. And I take it as a great honor to be considered part of your family."

She leaned in close and whispered in his ear, "Some day soon, Alaric, I'll tell you my real name."

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

Oh my gosh! Thank you all so much for your continued support! I never imagined I would get this far, or that so many people would actually read this! It means so much to me!

I hope you all are enjoying the story so far, and that you're enjoying the mystery of it😉 I have so many great ideas and plans for the future, and I can't wait for you all to read them! I hope you love them just as much as I will love writing them.

Bear with me, because some of the next chapters might be kinda short and boring because they will be filler chapters. But don't worry! It's going to get even more exciting!

xo Grace