~9~

Another Friday night had rolled around and Brighid was on the side lines cheering. Nathan was doing well as always but Lucas was more of the shining star.

It was quite the improvement from the last game. Lucas, currently had 9 points scored for the team. The final seconds buzzed and Lucas shot the ball into mid air.

Brighid watched as it swooshed directly in. Tree Hill Ravens had just won the game, keeping their undefeated record.

The cheerleaders jumped up and down. The crowd in the bleachers rejoiced and the team hailed Lucas the V.I.P, well all expect Nathan.

"I'm doing it" Brooke said to Peyton and Brighid as they grabbed their bags.

"Doing what?" Peyton asked with her arms crossed against her chest.

"You know, the Brooke. I'll see you two later" Brooke whispered with a seductively look on her face. She quickly pranced out of the gym.

"She's pulling the Brooke" Peyton said shaking her head.

"I'm assuming on Lucas, gross" Brighid muttered back.

Peyton and Brighid walked out to find some of the basketball players talking about Lucas' win.

"He's going to be mad" Peyton commented to Brighid, referring to Nathan.

"So will my dad" Brighid added.

Nathan and Dan came out a minute later. Dan looked beyond pissed and Nathan was stone faced.

"Let's go" Dan said to Brighid. She followed the two hoping into the truck.
———
Brighid avoided Nathan and her father as much as she could over the last couple of days. It had just went from bad to worse with Nathan being demoted on the team and Lucas taking his spot.

Nathan and Brighid were about to go out to grab some food when Dan caught them off guard. He had been sitting in the family room sipping on whiskey.

"I heard Whitey gave your spot to Lucas" Dan said with his focus on the blank tv screen. "Do you even care that it's slipping away?"

Nathan and Brighid stopped in the hallway facing their father.

"All the work we put into it, all the plans we made. Look at your sister, a career down the drain"

"I-" Brighid began but Nathan stepped forward cutting her off.

"All the plans you made, dad. All the work I've done" Nathan spoke out. He walked into the family room while Brighid stayed in the hallway.

"Fine. Quit the team. Hell quit school for that matter. I'll tell you what, I'll give you a job at the dealership. You can spend the rest of your life haggling over free floor mats with morons with bad credit" Dan said jumping up from his chair. He began to get more aggressive with each word. "How does that sound? Because that's where you're headed. And that's if I give you the job"

A long silence filled the air.

"I just want more for you, Nathan. Just like I wanted more for Brighid. More than a 9 to 5 and feeling you could have had a better life" Dan said calming down. Brighid stood with her arm holding tightly onto the other. Her head hung low.

"Believe me when I say this. I want you both to be happy" Dan said before walking away. Nathan stood still in the family room.

"We going to eat or what?"  Brighid asked. Nathan turned around swinging the car keys in his hand. The two walked out the front door.