27 Repeated history (pre Winter Dance)

A/n: BRO I FINALLY MADE A PREQUEL CHAPTER TO MY FAVORITE CHAPTER!!!! I'm probably going to make this a short story, make it it's separate book...or maybe I already did and it's laying in my drafts (it totally is)

You quietly struggle to put on a comfy f/c dress. Who would've thought it would be that hard to get dressed in a pitch black room? For context, it was your 14th birthday and since it was "your day", you and your best friend Varian decided to sneak out at midnight.

See, you guys were an Inseparable pair and had grown up together. His dad was a palace chef, while he was a kitchen boy, that's how it always was. Although he had his work to do and you had your's, whenever you had free time you'd use it to hang out.

You finally got your dress on and black cloak. You peak your head out the window and of course, Varian was standing down there with a dorky grin on his face. "Y/n, y/n, let down your hair!" He called to you. "Be quiet before you get us both caught, Dork," you chuckled, looking down at him.

He was adorable, with his cute smile, big eyes...those blue, beautiful, mesmerizing- AH! You didn't mean that in a, crush type of way, just a best friend kind of way right?

RIGHT?!

You grab rope that was hidden underneath a little table near your window. You then tie it to a hook on your windowsill and after you put on your hood, you start to climb down. You were halfway down when you felt the rope snap. You felt the gravity pulling you down to the ground at full speed and just stayed still accepting it.

You close your eyes 'Well this was a good run. Time to die.' But oddly, you didn't hit the floor. By now you should've hit it, but you didn't. You opened your eyes and Varian was staring down at you. He caught you but it was so quick, you didn't feel it.

You waved a hand at him, still slightly shaking from the adrenaline. "Did you test that rope before using it?" He raised an eyebrow at you. You stayed silent. "So what I'm hearing is...no," he was chuckling from shock. "Pfft, well I- no- shush. Put me down."

He did as you asked and you brushed off your cloak, straightening it out. "More time here is the more likely chance of us getting caught," you whispered, "let's go." You grabbed his hand and started to sneak through the lantern lit streets together.

There were crumpled up banners and balloons that had already stopped floating on the floor from the big celebration that had ended only a few hours ago. Quirin had prepared a beautiful cake and it tasted as good as it looked. Varian, of course, prepared the ham sandwiches as well as request them in the first place.

You guys were giggling quietly and like the clumsy boy he is, Varian almost tripped. You caught him right before he fell from behind, then rolled your eyes. "Now we're even." "Well not really, you could've died when you fell," he smartly remarked. You then, without warning nor hesitation, drop him. "Ouch, was I wrong?!" He whisper yelled.

"I never said that," you protested, "I'm just a salty person. C'mon, let's keep going." After a few minutes of sneaking, you get to the entrance, with a bridge separating the village and forest. You smile at each other excitedly before running across the sturdy bridge. That was it, the princess and the kitchen boy had successfully snuck out of the kingdom of Flidoña.

"So, you know where we're going?" You ask a little skeptically at the boy. You guys were right at the entrance of the forest and from what you could see...well, you couldn't. It was really dark in there and the only things you could see were tall trees. "Of course  y/n! Would I ever put you in danger?" You looked him dead in the eyes, "Yes" He softly punched you in the arm, "Oh F off," he responded.

You nudged your head to the forest looking at Varian, as if saying, "you go first" He calmly started walking into the forest and you followed closely behind, flinching at any little noise. Like the leaves blowing in the wind or at the twig Varian accidentally stepped on. "You're safe, you're safe," Varian told you when he felt you tightly squeeze his hand. "I just, I'm..." your voice was shaking. Of course you were afraid of the unknown, who wouldn't be?

Varian came to a halt which made you stop in your tracks. "Do you trust me?" He asked. You couldn't see anything but you could feel his presence, his face was very...very close to yours. "What?" You ask hesitantly. "Do you trust me?" He asks again. "Well duh you just saved me from dying," you respond to him. "Then stay close, and don't be scared."

You don't let go of the boy's hand for the remainder the time spent in complete darkness. Eventually, you see a bust of moonlight through the trees ahead of you. "Almost there," Varian's footsteps begin to quicken, as well as yours. In the span of ten seconds, you had officially made it out of the woods and was standing in a huuuuuuuuuuge field with a stream through the middle.

The stars were like a billion little spotlights on the two of you and the full moon was the main. It was huge and beautiful, a bright woman. You glanced over at Varian who was taking off his boots and feeling the grass and dirt on his bare feet. You did the same thing and spun around. If felt like for the first time ever, you were completely free.

You unclipped your cloak and threw it up into the night sky, letting the wind take it. Varian looked up from the grass to you and immediately turned red. He thought you looked beautiful especially since the dress complimented your body.

A gorgeous young princess in a field with the moonlight shining down on her, a perfect sight really. Varian wished it could last forever, but the only thing he could do was store that image into his memory. You looked over at Varian and blushed from embarrassment. Why was he staring at you like that? When he realized that he was caught, he looked down at the grass, scratching the crook of his neck.

"So what now?" You ask, breaking the awkward silence. "Well," Varian hesitated looking up at the full moon, "spotlight," he looks at the flying lightning bugs around the field, "an audience," he approaches you with a look you've never seen until now.... A smug smirk. He holds out a hand for you to take, "May I have this dance?"

You giggle at him, but give in, intertwining your hand in his. He clearly didn't think this through because he didn't know where to put his right hand. You guide it to your waist and softly place it there, then rest your hand on his shoulder.

You started off with a basic box step around the field. Varian spun you twice before going back into the box step. "Now we're getting the hang of it," you smile softly. He leads you through the small stream, and you slightly flinch from the feeling of cold water on your feet. You giggle at that sudden feeling and look back at Varian.

He laughed along with you, still dancing together. You then do a skip/leap still holding hands and this time, you spin him.

After a few minutes of dancing under the night sky, you pulled Varian down to the ground with you. You had him pinned down to the ground, but he was laughing so much from your sudden action, that he couldn't even fight back if he wanted to. You rolled off of him onto your back giggling with him. "Look at all the stars, so beautiful." You yawned and snuggled up with Varian wrapping an arm around him and burying your face into his chest before drifting off to sleep in a matter of seconds.

He flinched a little at your cold breath, but smiled drifting off to sleep. You guys would be totally dead in the morning, but that was okay, as long as you were by his side.

No one would've thought that relationship would turn into whatever it is now.

A/n: Maybe you guys have a clear idea of what kind of relationship they had before Varian...you know....

Until next time

-Clementine