Chapter Ten: Christmas Break

There are several dialogue quotes taken from JK Rowling's Sorcerer's Stone in this book. This is to convey the same story she wrote, but from another character's POV. The quotes taken directly from the book have three quotation marks (instead of two) around them to signify she wrote them and that I am citing them. Because I am transforming pieces of her work into something new this falls under the Fair Use Act. Additionally, JK Rowling has stated that she is okay with noncommercial fan fiction. All direct quotes, the Harry Potter storyline, and the characters all belong to JK Rowling.

It was nearly Christmas time at Hogwarts, and it seemed that everyone was in the holiday spirit in one way or another. The spectacular Halloween decorations were all replaced with bells, ornaments, and Christmas trees. Holly and Garland ran up and down the Great Hall. Several young witches attempted hanging mistletoe in the doorways to encourage the boys to give them a Christmas kiss.

Crabbe and Goyle invented a new game where they caught the smallest first years, and literally built them into snowmen. They would cast silencing charms on their victims, and sometimes it would be hours before a professor or friend would realize that the snowmen had human heads.

Draco laughed along to these shenanigans, but he preferred to spend his time bundled up under a blanket, studying, and drinking hot chocolate. Curiously, his mood started to deflate as Christmas break loomed closer. While he normally would have welcomed the break, he wasn't looking forward to facing his father who was... less than pleased with him last time they wrote to each other.

Additionally, Draco wasn't sure how his father would take the awful, terrible news Draco had to break to him... as of right now he was second in his class. Maybe this would not be so terrible under any other circumstances, considering how he still had a full term to fight his way to first. However, the highest ranking student in his class was the mangey, muggle-born, Granger girl that Draco was kicking himself for helping Halloween night.

The Friday before Christmas break, the students chatted through potions class. It seemed as if even Professor Snape's serious demeanor could not keep the holiday spirit at bay.

"'I do feel so sorry,'" Draco said loudly with a tone of fake sympathy. "for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home." He directed this insult at Harry, who had to spend his Christmas at Hogwarts because his parents were dead, and his Aunt and Uncle did not want him.

Although Draco couldn't see Harry's reaction, as his back was to him, he saw Harry's ears flush very pink. He also managed to make his friends all snigger with laughter. This made Draco feel a little bit better about going home, because at least he wasn't unwanted. However, the feeling didn't last, and Draco tried channeling his anxiety into potion making.

At the end of potions class, Draco stayed behind as usual. He walked up to Professor Snape who was at his desk writing something. "What are we working on today, Professor?" Draco asked.

However, Snape ignored him and continued to write. Draco's heart sank as he knew what was about to come. Finally Snape set down his quill and stared Draco down.

"I'm not going to yell at you for ranking lower than Granger, because I'm sure you'll get it from your father," said Snape. His voice was low and drawling, but this was typical, so it was difficult to tell exactly what Snape was feeling.

"However," Snape continued. "I want to impress on you that you have a full term to fix this. I expect you to study over break, and I expect you to do better when you come back. Now go."

Draco turned and left with his tail between his legs. He shook with anger as he marched out of the dungeons and into the corridor. Draco felt as if he may cry or have a breakdown, and just at that moment of pure vulnerability, who would be standing there but Harry, Ron, and Hermione.