𝟬𝟭𝟯. a madman

ღ chapter thirteen( a madman )

chapter thirteen
( a madman )

HERMIONE WAS QUICK to whisper a charm that caused the Christmas tree near them to ride a few inches off the ground, drift sideways, and land with a slight thump in front of their table, hiding them from view. Through the dense lower branches, Jules saw four sets of chair legs move back, and heard the small grunts and sighs as the Professor's and Minister sat down at the table next to them.

They rattled off their drink orders as soon as turquoise heels approached the table, Madame Rosmerta, as she handed them their corresponding drinks. Glasses clinked, and Fudge invited Rosmerta to join them, which she did. "So what brings you to this neck of the woods, Minister?" she asked.

Fudge seemed to twist around, as if he was looking for anyone eavesdropping. He was very quiet when he spoke. "What else my dear, but Sirius Black? I daresay you've heard what happened up at the school on Halloween?"

Juliet stiffened, and Harry placed a comforting hand on her own.

"I did hear a rumor," Madame Rosmerta admitted.

Professor McGonagall made a clicking noise with her tongue. "Did you tell the whole pub Hagrid?"

"Do you think Black's still in the area, Minister?" Rosmerta questioned.

Fudge was short with his confirmation of her suspicions. "I'm sure of it."

"You know the dementors have searched the whole village twice? Scared all of my customers away, it's very bad for business, as I'm sure you understand, minister," Rosmerta said crossly.

Fudge cleared his throat. "Rosmerta dear, I don't like them anymore than you do. Necessary, but unfortunate, precaution. However, they are rather fzurious Dumbledore is refusing to allow them inside the grounds, I just met with them, you see-"

"I should think not!" McGonagall said sharply. "How are we supposed to teach with those horrors floating around?"

"Hear hear!" Flitwick squeaked.

"All the same," Fudge demurred. "They're protecting you from worse horrors, we all know what Black's capable of."

Rosmerta sniffed rather loudly. "You know, I still have trouble believing it. Of all those who could have possibly gone over to the Dark Side, Sirius Black never once crossed my mind. He was always so bright, and funny. He and his girlfriend, poor thing, the two were always in here during their final years at school."

"You don't know the half of it, Rosmerta," Fudge sighed. "His most heinous deeds are not as widely known."

"You say you remember him at Hogwarts, do you remember who his best friend was?" McGonagall murmured.