Chapter-5

Jackson

"Alright! That's it, I'm gonna ask her out today." I say while adjusting my hair nervously.

"You've been saying that for the past 6 weeks, but whenever you see her, you go blank." My friend Ronny tells me.

"Oh shut up, you ass. I won't chicken out this time. I am going to ask her out and date her cute little ass." I say, rubbing my sweaty palms down my jeans.

"I bet 10 bucks that he'll chicken out this time too." Justin says as he lights a cigarette.

"Hey bro don't smoke now! I'm gonna smell like cigarettes and that'll be enough to scare her away." I say smacking the back of Justin's head. Ronny laughs at this and pats my back.

"Dude just give me the 10 bucks already." I nudge his shoulder and make my way towards Rosie, who is sitting under a secluded tree, engrossed in reading a book that has a name I can't even pronounce.

"Hey, Rosie." I say flamboyantly. She takes her eyes away from the book and looks at me. She gives me one of her best smiles and says,

"Oh hey, Jack! How are you doing?"

"I'm nice." I say, taking a seat beside her under the tree.

"Do you need something?" She asks with a concerned expression.

"Oh no no. Nothing like that. I just came to say hi. I see that your girl gang isn't there today." I chuckle nervously.

"Oh yeah Jess has got food poisoning and Miley is out of town. Her grandmother passed away, unfortunately." She says apprehensively.

"Ohh that's why you're all alone." I say like an idiot without any prior thinking. As soon as those words come out of my mouth, Rosie's eyes widen and her head jerks back.

"Excuse me? Are you saying that I'm a loner?" She asks, defensively.

"What?! Oh no no no no! That's not what I meant, I swear. I was just saying that........that." I stutter like an idiot. Rosie sees me panic and breaks into a fit of laughter.

"Ohh, Jack. I was just messing with you." She says patting my arms. I look at her with amusement. I could hear her laugh all day. Her laughter is the sweetest sound I've ever heard, and there is nothing more I want than being the reason behind her laughter.

"I really like you, Rosie." I whisper out. She stops laughing and looks at me sceptically.

"Jackson? Are you serious?"

"Yes, I am. I really like you a lot. I want you to be my girlfriend."

"But Jackson, you're like my best friend. We've known each other since we were kids."

"Actually you were a kid, I was a pubescent." I say. Well, there is an age gap of four years between us. Thanks to my father, I missed three years of schooling and because of that, I'm 20 years old and still in high school.

"That's not the point-"

"I don't care what's the point, Rosie." I take her small hands in my large ones and look into her eyes.

"I like you, and I wanna be more than just a friend to you." I say. She blushes at my confession and gives me a quick peck on the cheek. I was taken aback by this and look at her with shock and amusement.