CHAPTER 68

Now my only wish........
Is to attend her marriage.......
Not as a visitor......
But as her groom.

You know that feeling you get before your viva or class presentation. That eerie nervous but at the same time anxious kind of feeling. That's exactly what Aayan was feeling at the moment. He got up today in the Morning and one thought just popped into his head, that he is getting married tomorrow. Yup, tomorrow is Aayan and Ruhee's official wedding.

Aayan did his usual routine when he gets up. He uses the washroom to take a bath and freshens up. Wears a simple T-shirt and jeans and out the room. He climbs down the stairs and sees his family sitting at then table having breakfast. Zubair's family was staying over till the wedding to help out with the small its and bits of the wedding. As soon as Zainab sees Aayan approaching them, she begins her duty. Being the obnoxious elder sister.

'Oh look, the groom is here.' Zainab says with a teasing smile and everyone at the table lift their heads to see him. Aayan glares at Zainab and goes to sit in his seat but on the inside, his heart beat was on full acceleration. Zainab served him the breakfast and the entire family enjoyed their meal, 'So little brother, excited?' Zainab asks in a teasing manner. Aayan frowns at her and asks, 'For what exactly?' 'Do you just want to know or know exactly what?' Zainab says with a mischievous smile. Aayan still couldn't get what she was implying but Zubair sure did cause as soon as those words left Zainab's mouth, Zubair choked on his food.

His father who was sitting next to him handed him a glass of water which he drank after calming down. Zubair banged the glass on the table and glared at Zainab, 'What happened little brother, cat got your tongue?' Zainab teased Zubair who just heated up, 'Shut up before I bang this glass on your head.' Zubair warned her. Aayan signed and bought back his attention to his meal.

God knows what they are on about.

Aayan was seated peacefully on the couch in the living room going through the paper when Zubair plopped before him, 'God, Zainab is so annoying.' 'I know.' Aayan replied, 'I mean, I was going to tease you with that but she started it before me!' Aayan turned to look at Zubair and frowned, 'Tease me with what?' He asked. Zubair looked dumbfounded at him, 'You still didn't get what Zainab was implying?' Aayan shook his head. Zubair was really shocked, 'I mean, everyone at the table got what she meant but you didn't?' 'Didn't you see me shake my head?' Aayan asked.

Zubair motioned Aayan to come forward with his hand. Aayan looked uncertain for a moment but did what he said.  He kept the paper aside and moved his ear closer to Zubair, who whispered some words in his ears and Aayan's eyes went wide. He pulled back from Zubair and stared at him shocked, 'Are you insane?' Aayan yelled but Zubair quickly asked him to calm down. Aayan looked around and saw that no one was around and repeated his words in a whisper, 'Are you insane? Why would you bring up such a topic in front of the family?' 'I didn't,  Zainab did.' Zubair defends himself.

Aayan leaned the back of his head on the couch and closed his eyes. He let out an heavy sign from between his lips. Aayan could feel Zubair's gaze on him but he didn't wanna acknowledge it. Having enough of his stare, Aayan got up from the couch to climb up the stairs and into his room. Aayan fell flat on his bed and closed his eyes. He popped his eyes open as Zubair's words popped in his head.

God, he is such an idiot.

Aayan turned to his side and got lost in his thoughts.

I am getting married tomorrow. Ruhee will be coming home forever. It's a good thing, but why am I so nervous. And over that, Zubair had to mention about that to me.

Aayan ran his hands over his face. A knock on the door caused him to let out a groan, 'No Zubair, I am not discussing my first night after marriage with you.' Aayan yelled at the door, 'Well, even I have no interest in discussing about that with you.' Aayan heard his mother's voice. He quickly sat up straight and strained his eyes shut. He got up from the bed and walked to open his door. His mother was standing their containing her smile. Aayan rubbed the back of his head embarrassed and let his mother in.

'Sorry about that, Ammi. I was just... ya know..' Aayan was struggled with his words, 'It's okay, dear. I thought you must be feeling nervous, since soon you are also gonna be a husband, so I came to talk to you.' Aayan's mother said gently. Aayan's expressions softened. Sahma went and sat on the edge of his bed and called him to sit next to her. Aayan went and sat next to her, but kept his eyes casted down and kept fidgeting with his fingers.

Sahma lifted her son's head by the chin and asked, 'What's on your mind?' She asked. Aayan signed and opened his mind, 'I don't know, Many things are.' 'And they are all related to your new role as a husband?' She asked and Aayan nodded his head. Sahma smiled at him, 'Aayan, a girl gets married and leaves her family and comes to her husbands house and just accepts his family as hers. That's a very big deal.'

'I am not trying to scare you, but its the truth.' Sahma continued. She picked up Aayan's hand and placed it in her's, 'Your major responsibility as her husband is to not get her whatever she wants and listen to what ever she says, but to just keep her happy. She is leaving the family she has lived with for the past 20 years for you, and all you have to do is keep her happy and care her. That's what a spouse is, they have to not just be loving, they have to be caring, understanding and supportive. Understood?' Aayan smiled and nodded his head.

He pulled his hand back from his mother's and laid his head on her lap. Sahma brushed her fingers through his hair and said, 'And I know, my son will be a great husband. I have seen you be one in the past 3 months.' Aayan closes his eyes in content.

Aayan opens his eyes and stretches. He sits up in his bed and smiles. He looks at the time and quickly walks into the restroom to take a bath and freshen up. He trimmed his beard, jelled his hair and flossed his teeth. He looks at his outfit and nods his head. He walks to stand infront of the mirror and adjusts his brooch near the pocket. He wears his black designer kufti hat that had a white outline of a masjid door on the top. He puts his long bandana over his shoulder, behind his back and onto his arm. He nods satisfied to himself as he wears his Hubby watch.

Sahma and the others were also dressed up and ready. She was ordering around the workers to get the gifts and packages into the car when her eyes land on her son walking down the stairs. She just stared at him with love and adoration. She had tears pooled in her eyes as her son got off the last step. She felt someone place a hand on her shoulder and she looked back to see her sister also getting emotional. She walked over to her son and looked him up and down, 'Mashallah, you look so handsome.' She said with the biggest smile on her face.

Aayan smiled at his mother. Faiz, Saif and Zubair came and hugged him while Zainab just did an okay sign with her hands, 'Okay everyone, it's time to leave. It's my brother's wedding, can't be late for that.' Everyone shared a laugh and nodded as they all walked out. Aayan got into the car with his mother and the driver took to the streets. Aayan looked out and smiled.

It's D - Day.