67

Madeline's POV

Madeline's POV

My father once told me if you wished for something hard enough and believed, it would come true. I think he called it the Law of Attraction or something close to that. I believed him, because I looked up to him. Because he was smart and had received many awards. I grew up thinking if I wished for something and truly believed it would come true- I would get it.

But there I was, sitting in front of the mirror. I had dreaded this day ever since Amancio revealed his plans. I had wished and prayed and begged and believed that something would get in the way of the forbidden wedding- but there I was. In just a few minutes, I would be Amancio's wife... and the Queen of Aridia.

A few weeks ago, I wouldn't mind being Queen. I knew it took a lot of hard work but I was willing to learn, as long as I was with Carlos. But that was not the case. Instead of preparing to marry Carlos, I was getting ready to marry his evil ex-best friend- Amancio. Instead of butterflies and excitement in my stomach, dread caused my insides to turn, tears pooling in my eyes.

I was still a bit shaken after opening the box that had magically appeared outside my door. Amancio was a psychopath, that I knew for sure. I didn't think that because he beheaded Brutus and sent him to me in a box. I thought that because he seemed extremely calm when I told him about what Brutus had done. The fact that he could mask his emotions so easily... it scared me.

"Your dress just arrived, Lady Madeline," Imogen held up a dark black garment bag.

"Let me guess, it's not white?" I raised an eyebrow.

Imogen sighed, her eyes sad. "I'm...so sorry you have to go through this Lady Madeline."

I shrugged, trying not to cry. "I don't have a choice, do I? If I don't do this Carlos dies. And if Carlos dies...I don't know what I would do."

I let out a breath, a silent tears racing down my cheek.

The dress was black. Of course.

It wouldn't be a Dark Lords' event if it didn't look like a funeral. But, the dress was appropriate to some point. It wasn't just a wedding, it was also a funeral. I would be mourning the loss of my freedom, the loss of my happiness, the loss of the girl I used to be.

Surprisingly, the dress fit like a glove- like it wouldn't fit anyone else but me. It highlighted the right places and made me look like a corpse bride, like a widow.

As Imogen draped a black lacy veil over my face, everything from then on felt like an outer body, dreamy experience. Everything moved in slow motion as we walked to The Grand Halls, the whispers never ceasing.

Members of The Dark Lords and the new palace staff walked the halls, dressed in what I presumed to be their finest attire. They didn't bother hiding their wary stares and whispers.

"Ignore them, Madeline," Imogen whispered. I knew she was talking but her words didn't really register in my brain. It felt like I was in someone else's body, living someone else's life.