Chapter 4

Since his axe was blown to pieces, he goes and gets two fish for the dragons and a shield, while I go home, switch quivers and practice at my archery range to let off some steam. Once Hiccup gets me, we go back to the dragons at the cove. Hiccup walks forward, shield in front. But just our luck, the shield gets stuck. He throws the fish over the shield. When nothing happens, we creep underneath the shield and each take a fish. We walk further into the cove, but I hear the dragons behind us. I take Hiccup's hand and point. He gasps and I hear the dragons get closer, one on each side. We go back-to-back and each face the dragon in front of us. They sniff us and growl. I extend the hand with the fish slowly. I hear them get closer and the one facing Hiccup growls curiously, then both dragons snarls. I hear Hiccup go for his knife, so I reach for my bow.

"Wait. I want to see something." Hiccup says. I hear snarls, the knife hitting the ground, then an object splash into the lake.

"Throw away your bow and quiver." Hiccup says.

"What?!"

"Just do it."

I sigh and unclip my quiver. I put it down and roll it away from me, opposite from where I heard the splash. I take off my bow and throw it in the same direction as my quiver. All the snarling stops, so I hold out the fish. The Nadder in front of me takes the fish and gobbles it up.

"Huh, Toothless. I could have sworn you had--" There's a sound and then Hiccup gasps. I hear the dragon eating the fish and licks its lips.

"--teeth." Hiccup finishes.

"Huh?"

"The Night Fury has retractable teeth." Hiccup says. I feel the Nadder prods me and Hiccup and I say together,

"Uh, we... we don't have anymore."

I hear the Night Fury make a sound like it's throwing up a hairball and then a splat.

"He just threw up a piece of the fish for me. What should I do?" Hiccup asks.

"I don't know."

I hear him eat the fish and I gag. I feel where the Nadder has gone and find it shooting spines at the cove wall. I pick up my bow and quiver. I walk next to it and slightly in front of it and shoot arrows. We spend hours shooting and it starts retrieving my arrows. We end up making a game of this. I shoot an arrow and he retrieves it. I get so caught up in it, I turn around and sense his presence. I slowly put out my hand in its general direction and hold it there. I wait and feel the dragon's breath on my hand. I then feel its nose on my hand and I feel it purr. Hiccup comes and tells me that it's time for dinner.

"It let me touch it!"

"Me too!"

"What are you gonna call your Night Fury?" I ask.

"I think Toothless, because he can be toothless. What about your Nadder?"

"I think Vision, because he's my vision. What does he look like? What colour are his scales?"

"He has green scales, a gold underbelly and the tips of his spikes are orange." Hiccup describes. It's been a while since I've seen what colours look like, but I remember those colours since green, gold and orange are my favourite. We get to the fire and Hiccup is cooking his fish and my chicken. Gobber was telling the others about the time. I, having heard it thousands of times, was saying it with him. He always says it the exact same way.

"And with one twist, he took my hand and swallowed it whole! And I saw the look on his face... I was delicious. He must have passed the word, because it wasn't a month before another one took my leg." Hiccup hands me my chicken and I dig in.

"Isn't it weird to think your hand was inside a dragon? Like if your mind was still in control of it, you could have killed the dragon from inside by crushing his heart, or something." Fishlegs says.

"I swear, I'm so angry. I'll avenge your beautiful hand and your beautiful foot. I'll chop off the legs of every dragon I fight, with my face." Snotlout says.

"I'd like to see you try." I snicker.

"Well, you can't, now can you." Snotlout says smugly.

I jump at him and only the combined efforts of Hiccup, Fishlegs and Gobber save Snotlout from being sent straight to Helheim. So I just end up throwing my chicken at him. I hear it hit and Snotlout's girly scream.

"It's the wings and tail you really want. If it can't fly, it can't get away. A downed dragon is a dead dragon. Alright, I'm off to bed. You should be, too. Tomorrow we get to the big boys, slowly but surely making our way up to the Monstrous Nightmare. But who'll win the honor of killing it?" I feel something in my hand and it's Hiccup's fish on a stick. I sigh, knowing he's gone and probably will be until training tomorrow.

"It's gonna be me. It's my destiny. See?" Tuff says.

"No, I can't." I mutter.

"Your mom let you get a tattoo?" Fishlegs says.

"It's not a tattoo, it's a birthmark." Tuff says.

"Ok, I've been stuck with you since birth, and that was never there before." Ruff says.

"Yes, it was. You've just never seen me from the left side until now." Tuff defends.

"Well I'm off to bed and Hiccup's gone. Could someone please escort me?" I ask.

"Sure. Let's go." The goddessly voice of Astrid Hofferson says. I gulp and offer my arm. She loops her arm through mine and leads me to my house. We walk in silence.

"I'm sorry for earlier today." She says.

"It's not me you need to apologize too." I say. "But you probably won't be able to tonight. Hiccup probably won't be back until training. Could you also escort me to the arena, tomorrow?"

"Sure. I'm also sorry for just leaving you. I just stopped being your friend and I miss you." Astrid says with difficulty. My heart starts beating rapidly.

"I miss you too. You were my friend from birth, but then abandoned me three years ago." I say, tears threatening to spill.

"I know, I don't know why I did that. I'm so sorry. I was hoping you could forgive me."

"I forgive you, Astrid, but if I'm gonna be your friend again, talk to me. I don't think I could bear it if you ghosted me again." I say.

"How can you forgive me so easily? We're here." I put up my hand and find the handle.

"Because, Astrid, I love you." I stand there and realize what I said. "As a friend! As a friend." I say quickly.

"Yeah, totally." She says back. "Well, see you tomorrow. Yup, goodnight."

I quickly go inside and slump to the floor. I just told my crush I loved her. What is wrong with me? I go upstairs and fall asleep.

(A/N: Hey guys. The Nadder in the photo is what Vision looks like. I modeled one of my Nadders from School of Dragons after him so I could show you guys. I hope you're all doing well!)