30 | Happier Without Me

Bailey

It's been an hour. Or more, I don't know, but it's felt like years. The waiting room seriously does feel like you're waiting forever. I think I might have heard a ghost story about someone who was waiting for a loved one there. The person died in surgery, but she wouldn't leave the waiting room, and legend has it that she's still waiting for him to come out.

Not that I'm saying it'll happen to Anna. Besides, I don't believe in all that stuff. And Blake is going to make it. He'll survive. Anyone that says otherwise is crazy.

Anna ran out of nails to bite, so now she's just chewing on her fingers. Adrian ran out of cigarettes, so now he's just pacing around. I managed to pull out a lock of hair considering the amount I was fidgeting with it.

Before we all go crazy, the doctor comes out, looking a little... insane? Must be the stress.

I notice his eye twitch. "He's... okay."

Anna raises an eyebrow. "Okay? As in, he's okay to die. Or he's okay to live. Or as in he's okay... as in he's just breathing?"

"He's alive."

Anna sighs a sigh of relief. "So... can we see him?"

"Not until next week. But..." He trails off, looking completely horrified as Adrian stands directly in front him, towering over him.

"But?" I ask, pushing him on to tell us the entire truth.

"But?!" Anna growls, pushing Adrian aside and now she's intimidating the doctor.

"Aside from permanent scars..."

I notice Anna's face drop and then harden again. She put her guards up. If I know her enough, she doesn't like to show her weaknesses.

"Aside from permanent scars?" I ask, keeping my voice low. The truth is, I'm starting to get annoyed that the doctor is making us wait for the entire truth.

"If you don't tell us in the next three seconds, I will injure you," Anna threatens. Adrian nods approvingly.

"He..."

"He?!"

"He won't be able to..."

"Just fucking tell us already!" I yell, angered. Adrian gives me a surprised look, but I don't react. "Whatever it is, you're going to tell us, or I will allow them to hurt you."

"A bullet shattered his knee cap and now he won't be able to walk without a brace... that's only if he's lucky," He blurts out.

"Go," Adrian tells the doctor, in a low snarl. "Now."

I quickly pull Anna into a hug, as her dams break and she starts bawling. Adrian is nowhere to be seen. I notice him disappear through a corner. Now it's only me and Anna, with me hugging her as she cries her eyes out.

I feel myself tearing up too.

Blake didn't deserve this. Anna didn't deserve this. It was my fault that I tried to escape into the basement like a coward. Adrian should have just let me get shot.

Good riddance anyway.

Now Anna has to face the fact that her lover is permanently damaged.

—————

It's next week. The day we get to see Blake. We don't know how he's taking it. All we know is that he's awake.

"You can go in..." A new doctor states. Her eyes are lowered, probably out of fear. There's Blake, connected to a heart monitor, and multiple wires. He's awake though. That's good.

Anna rushes over to him, nearly tackling him with a hug, but she doesn't. "I hate you so much!" She cries. "So much, that I can't stay away from you now. How dare you! How dare you do that to me?! This past week, I don't think I've slept at all. I haven't even gone home! My brother will be so worried! You know why? Because you got your sorry ass shot!" She yells.

"But I love you, okay? So don't think I don't."

"I love you too," He murmurs, his voice quiet. He seems to have lost a lot of weight over the past week...

Adrian approaches him, his eyes downcast and sad. "Blake, I'm sorry."

He doesn't get a reply. "You know that I'd do anything for you. I would have even taken the bullets for you."

"I know."

"I'm really sorry, Blake. I don't know if I can ever fix this... I really tried to, you know. It just- I'm sorry."

"I know," Blake replies avoiding eye contact. His usual dark skin looks a little colorless and pale. His lively brown eyes look dead. It's scary how much can happen within a week.

Throughout the time we're with him, I'm the only one who hasn't said anything. I wouldn't know how to face him, especially since it's my fault he's like this. He was the first person to ever show me kindness, and without him I would have been dead.

Without me... he would have been happy. They all would have been. 

———————

vote, comment, follow!

okay, people. that's thirty chapters! YAYYYY! and about 31,000 words! YEETT! so we're almost nearing the end of the this book, i'm planning about 40ish chapters. 

can i know how this chapter was? feedback please>>> 

thank you so much reading! i love you guys so much! 2.3K reads is a big deal for me, and it's been around a month since i've published this. 

and it's also #1 in scars out of 1.8K stories. this is one of the best feelings someone can ever have! thank you all so much!

love you!