chapter 29

Draco's POV:

I stand in the very back and lean against a tree by myself. There are a lot of people, so no one will even notice me here. It is a gloomy day. Perfect for a funeral I suppose. It has been a week since the battle and I haven't seen anyone until now. I've been at home trying to gather my thoughts. I keep replaying one moment over and over again in my head.

"Draco," whispers my mother gesturing for me to come to her. I swallow the lump in my throat and look around nervously. I wait for just one single person to tell me not to go. I just need one person to tell me it's okay to stay. I look around one last time and make eye contact with the Greene girl for a minute. She is just staring at me with a look of disgust on her face.

No one wants me here.

I slowly take a step down from the stairs I am standing on and make my way towards Voldemort slowly. No one says a word and Voldemort embraces me when I finally make it to him. I tense up and try to hold back the tears. Once he lets go I quickly walk towards my parents. My mother embraces me and grabs my hand. I try to keep my head down. This isn't what I want. Something feels so wrong.

Before I even realize what is happening, Harry is jumping up and all hell is breaking loose again. My mother pulls my hand, but I catch a glimpse of the Greene girl jumping right in front of a death eater and she falls to the ground.

No.

Slowly, then all at once, a million different memories hit me and I grab my head in pain.

"Olivia!" I scream and take off running toward her. I cover her body and see the Diggory boy crawling toward us. I snatch his wand and quickly point it at the death eater who hit Olivia. "Avada kedavra!" I scream and he is gone. I throw the boy his wand back and lean over Olivia's body. "Come on darling, wake up for me. I can't lose you, not like this," I am laying over top of her body and can't hear a heartbeat.

"Draco, come on now! She is gone," screams my mother. She yanks me off of Olivia's body and my vision starts to go blurry. She drags me down the bridge and my father yanks my other arm. I try to turn around and see her one last time, but my father puts his hand on my neck to keep me turned around.

"Keep walking son," he whispers harshly.

I stayed in my room for days after that. I couldn't move. I felt numb and confused. All of my memories were jumbled together and eventually, things started to make more sense. I remembered begging my mother not to obliviate my memories. I remembered her leaning close to my ear and whispering "it will be okay, you'll remember her again soon enough." Then I woke up in my bed and didn't remember her at all.

I didn't remember her until that moment I saw her get hit by the death eater. All of my memories came rushing back and the emotions were so overwhelming I could barely stand. The last memory I had of Olivia Lupin was her body laying on the cold ground, bloodied and bruised.

The worst part about it was knowing she died not remembering anything about me. She died seeing me, but not knowing who I was to her.

Or so I thought. My mother came to me yesterday and told me she wasn't dead. She said she had found out she survived and it was like I became unfrozen. I could breathe again for the first time in days.

Now, I'm standing here at a funeral for her family and she doesn't have any idea who I am. Selfishly, the pain of her not knowing who I am is worst than thinking she was dead.

I spot her walking to the front of the crowd and stop breathing for a moment. She is so beautiful. Her long black curls fall perfectly in place. She walks slowly, but confidently to the front of the crowd. Her hair falls in front of her face and I want to tuck it behind her ear for her so badly. Almost like she can hear me, she tucks her loose curl behind her ear and looks up at the crowd. Her eyes are so dark blue that they are almost black. I can feel her pain from here.

"We are all here today because we have lost someone we loved greatly," she starts to speak and her voice shakes slightly. I want to run up to her and hold her. I want to tell her it will be okay we can get through this together. "Many of you have lost a friend, sibling, parent, or even a child. I myself have lost friends, someone who was like a brother to me, someone who was like a mother to me, and my father. We have won a war but at a great cost. We mourn today and we will continue to mourn for the rest of our lives, but I know I will also smile again. I will smile every time I think of Fred's contagious laugh or Tonk's badass purple hair."

She pauses and smiles slightly, looking down at her feet. She is so strong, but I can see right through her. I can see her falling apart right in front of me, but she would never admit it to anyone.

"We lost a lot, but I can almost hear my dad saying now It was worth it. Now go continue to live for us all. And that's what we have to do. Tell their children and grandchildren what they fought for. We will rebuild for them. We will continue their story because it isn't over yet. It never will be." She finishes speaking and everyone takes their wand out. They point it at the sky and say the names of victims, lighting up the sky.

Once it is over and everyone begins to leave, I stay hidden in the back. I watch Olivia walk over to the gravestone of Lupin and kneel down in front of it. She stays there for a moment and lays something on his grave. She stands and begins to walk toward me, but she doesn't see me. I walk toward the gravestones and become really nervous when I get closer to her.

I stare right at her and pray she looks up at me as I walk by. My heart rate quickens and I feel my palms getting sweaty. She looks up at me right when we are passing each other and I almost freeze right in my tracks. She just glances at me for a moment and when I look into her eyes my heart shatters. She doesn't remember. She keeps walking right past me and I turn around to call out her name but stop myself.

How would I even get her to remember me? The spell is irreversible. The only reason I remembered was because my mother didn't permanently obliviate her from my memory. I watch her walk toward Potter, Granger, and the Weasley's. George puts his arm around her and she leans into him walking with her hand around his waist. I want to scream out to her, but it wouldn't be fair. I would just confuse her. All she feels toward me is hatred and me telling her she got her memories stolen wouldn't change how she feels. Nothing can bring that back.

I watch her walk away and decide it is better this way.

She deserves a chance at a life that doesn't involve me or my drama. She deserves another chance of happiness even if it doesn't include me.

I walk over to Fred's graves and frown.

"I always thought you were pretty funny, but I never would've admitted that. Rest well," I say.

I walk over to Lupin's grave next and kneel down in front of it. I reach my hand down and pick up the shiny lion necklace with the emerald snake wrapped around it. I hold it in my hand and allow a single tear to slip from my eye.

She has no idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Draco's point of view!!! Ahhh this was so fun and heartbreaking to write. I hope you all loved it. you will also get this chapter from Olivia's pov next, so you can know what she is thinking as well!

Also, If you promote my story on TikTok please tag me and I will follow you back! (:

Love you all!

-Kiersten<3