Chapter 6

That following Monday was to be Draco's first day in the Auror office. Hermione rationalized that she hardly even saw Harry at work, so it stood to reason that she would not be seeing Draco during the day either. Ginny disagreed.

Monday morning arrived with Ginny waking her up an hour before normal time, rushing her to get into the shower, and then staring at her wet hair for twenty minutes with a comb while Hermione sipped her tea.

"Ginny, please don't go overboard. The likelihood of even seeing him today –"

"Is it more or less than him favoring the bookshop that you work at? Now sit still. I think I'm going to have to plait it."

Hermione yawned. Ginny ended up doing a rather nice job with her hair, braiding the hair at her temples and pulling it down into a side braid that lay on her right shoulder, but the minute she suggested makeup Hermione was out of the chair.

"Just mascara!" was Ginny's parting shot as Hermione slammed the door behind her on her way out.

Hermione came through the fire into the Ministry Atrium, and the first person she saw was Draco Malfoy. He was standing next to the new fountain that had been erected last year and Harry was with him. It took Hermione a few hurried steps to realize that the irritating voice ringing through the whole Atrium was Rita Skeeter, directing the two of them while her photographer ran in circles trying to capture their interaction.

Hermione kept her head down and watched them out of the corner of her eyes, veering left to the lifts. Skeeter's voice pierced the hall, asking for a handshake. Draco murmured something to Harry, and Harry smiled. This stopped her. Harry's smile broke into a small laugh. She stood there watching Harry and Draco chuckle, shaking their heads at something Harry said in response. It was such an odd yet comfortable sight. She should have known she was standing still for too long.

"Miss Granger!"

Rita had spotted her. Her eyes were bright with excitement and possibility. Harry saw her over Draco's shoulder, giving her a look that said "run!"

Draco turned around. His eyes grazed her up and down before landing on her hair. Stupid Ginny.

"Miss Granger, what perfect timing!" Rita was fluttering over to her. She grabbed her arm and began dragging her over to the boys. "We would love to get a picture of you and Harry, welcoming Draco into the Ministry."

"Wouldn't Minister Shaklebolt be a better welcoming committee?" Hermione said. She was practically digging her heels in for the last few feet.

"Oh, no, no, no! Childhood rivals, now co-workers! Possibly friends! That is where the story is."

Rita placed her at Harry's right side and asked her to smile as they shook hands again. She must not have been smiling, because Rita certainly was not.

"Miss Granger," she reached for her. "Let me get a few words from you while the boys finish."

Hermione trudged forward, and Rita grabbed her shoulder, taking her a few steps away.

"Miss Granger," Rita began, and the Quick-Quotes Quill twitched over her shoulder. "How does it feel to have Draco Malfoy, long-time rival, and short-time Death Eater, working for the Ministry?"

Hermione swallowed and chose her words carefully. "I think Draco Malfoy is more than capable for the position. He had outstanding marks at Hogwarts and has always been very ambitious."

Rita's lips tightened. She tried again.

"Was it difficult for you, a victim of his abuse and hate for so many years, to see him this morning, in the Ministry Atrium, looking so at home?"