29 |

Please vote ⭐️ Follow me for more updates! Thank you

"And let the ceremony begin!"

The words echoed in my head. My palms were sweating at my side, although they were just twitching to touch my mate.

My face felt hot —it probably had to do with all the makeup on my face. I wondered briefly if it was melting off.

I look to my side, where Paxton was sat. We aren't supposed to touch yet, but when he side-glances at me through his dark lashes... he didn't have to. We were together, in this moment, and my heart was swelling with happiness.

A small smirk dances on the side of his mouth, and I snap my attention back to The Bonder, dressed in fancy red robes. I wondered what was racing through my mates mind in this moment as well.

"Alpha... Luna," The Bonder says, addressing the two of us in front of him. The room was silent now; waiting for something. I didn't know what. "First, we feast!" As he says this, his arms stretched out —his robes were flapping along with the movement. It captured my eyes and my mind whirls.

He side-steps out of the way and suddenly dozens of carts are being pushed through the aisles of tables. Plates are put down in front of people, happy laughter and whispering follows. My stomach grumbles lowly as the smell bits my nose.

My own plate is delicately placed in front of me, and I marvel at what was on it. It looked like venison; thick and juicy meat that was ready to be devoured. I turn my head, facing Paxton, who was staring intently at me. His eyes flicker to my plate and then back to my face.

He silently answers my question when his tongue flicks out of his mouth, grazing against his teeth in a slow motion. We held eye contact, but it made my heart race slightly. He didn't have to say the words: He killed it for me.

All day I had been stripped, waxed, sized for clothing and beautified... and he went hunting? The incredulous expression on my face must of been evident because Paxton lowly laughs and sends a wink my way, before turning to his own plate.

I'm finding more and more about the pack traditions as the night goes on.

Once all the food had been placed down in front of everyone, I only now notice that the room had once again fallen silent. No one was talking —no one was eating.

All eyes fell on me; on both Paxton and I, centered in the room, towering ever so slightly over the pack.

"You must take the first bite," Paxton tells me. I only nod, before using my fork and knife to slice the piece of venison in front of me. I bring the meat up to my face, the scent hitting me like a brick. It made my mouth water. As I open my mouth, my eyes catch Paxton's —he was watching me so intently with a dark expression.

I wasn't sure if he was hungry for the food or for me.

I pop the piece of venison in my mouth, keeping eye contact with Paxton as I do. I chew quickly, a hum of appreciation making its way out of my mouth. Almost immediately, everyone else dives into their own food. Beside me, Teague and Everleigh are chewing their own venison and potatoes and I keep shoveling down my own food. I was surprised when I cleaned my entire plate of food, considering how anxious I had been this entire time —normally my nerves kill my appetite.

Soon enough, the feast was over and my nerves began to bubble up inside of me once more. I turn to Paxton, looking up at him through my lashes. He looks at me with a grin —he was definitely not nervous.