~14~

Brighid swiped on some gloss before looking over herself in the mirror. She tugged on dress not wanting her father or mother to disapprove and make her change.

As she walked down the stairs she found her parents already arguing with each other.

"Did we really agree to let her join?" Dan asked looking at Deb.

"It would be weird if she didn't. Don't you think? Besides, I doubt the boy will try to pull anything today" Deb said fixing Dan's tie.

"I can't promise I won't talk to him. I will promise I won't do anything crazy" Brighid getting an approving look from her mother.

Her parents walked to the front door and Brighid took the spare time to grab a drink.

Brighid walked around the backyard hoping to bump into him. Instead she bumped into Lucas.

"I just wanted to apologize about the other night. I didn't mean to get you in trouble with Nathan about you know-"

"Oh really it's okay. Just overprotective you know" Brighid said with a smile.

"Yeah" Lucas responded awkwardly.

"Lucas there you are" a voice called out. Brighid turned around to find her uncle.

"Uncle Keith, how are you?" Brighid asked being polite. She rarely saw him other than family dinners and events like these.

"Brighid, I'm good. This is ah Karen, Lucas' mom" Keith introduced.

"Hi nice to meet you, I'm um Dan and Deb's daughter" Brighid awkwardly greeted back. Karen smiled at the girl. "If you'll excuse me" Brighid said seeing Jake walk into the backyard.

"Hey, glad you came" Brighid weakly muttered.

"You're parents are okay with this?" Jake asked, his hands in his pockets looking slightly uncomfortable.

"I explained I wasn't going to avoid you. They tried locking me in my room for the night, well at least my dad did" Brighid joked. Jake couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of it.

The two practically stuck together the whole event and eventually as it got dark people migrated outside to the basketball hoop.

"You miss it?" Jake randomly asked Brighid.

"Yes and no... it's great having my dad control one less thing in my life. On the other hand, I saw a future with it or at least I thought I did" Brighid answered before taking a long sip from her cup.

The ball had rolled towards Brighid stopping at her feet. She looked at Jake, handing him her cup before walking a few steps and shooting the ball from the other end.

"Still got it" Jake commented handing her the cup.

"Yeah I guess so" Brighid mumbled.

"Listen up everybody it's time to play truth or dare" Brook began with a slight pause "or maybe just dare as nobody tells the truth anymore" she slurred, clearly drunk. Brighid knew when Brooke was drunk trouble was to follow.

A circle now formed around Brooke and Peyton, who wasn't looking to pleased. Brighid stood a foot or so back observing from a distance. Jake and her were curious as to where this would end up.

"Let's see...Theresa I dare you to go pinch whitey's ass" 

Thersea walked out of the circle "be right back"

Peyton was next on Brooke's humiliate list. "Brooke c'mon" Peyton whispered looking agitated.

"I dare you to show us how you really feel... kiss Lucas" Brooke smirked.

Peyton stood still for a moment not sure how to respond when all of the sudden she grabbed Lucas' face kissing him. Brooke looked repulsed. Peyton just walked away.

"Brighid, I choose, truth. Tell us why you went away to "basketball camp" huh? Cause everyone knows your lying. You're just to embarrassed to say you went away to fat camp" Brooke announced. Brighid stood back looking down at the ground.

"Enough Brooke" Jake said coming to Brighid's defense.

"Awww isn't that cute. Brighid's boyfriend is sticking up for her. I'm telling you she went to fat camp. We all knew you looked fat during the summer. No one had the guts to say it" Brooke continued. Brighid threw her cup on the ground and stormed into the house trying to hide her tears.

"Brooke why do you have to be such a bitch" Nathan asked all annoyed.

"Really Brooke? Your best friend?" Jake said all disappointed before following after Brighid.

Brighid ran up the stairs and into her room. Jake was about to follow when Dan caught him on the staircase.

"Yeah, not this time buddy. No upstairs" Dan said with an evil look. Jake not wanting to fight with Dan Scott turned around and walked back into the party.