Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Ryder's POV

I was going to kill Monica.

How dare she get in the middle of Ruby and I? I had just gained her trust and actually thought that she would relax towards me, but then Monica joins the picture and screws the whole thing up.

I wasn't an idiot, and I could definitely tell that Ruby had gotten pretty mad about this. I didn't blame her though, I was a player. I was known for heart breaking; it was part of my reputation. I deserved this kind of karma.

I hated myself for doing this. Maybe if my record wasn't that bad, I would still have Ruby.

God, I wanted her.

I needed her.

She was like everything I've always dreamed of. I didn't ever have to try with her. And she didn't ever have to try with me. We could just sit there and talk without it ever being weird. Ruby's my perfect girl.

I called Monica and waited for her to pick up. After three rings, her unusually high voice squeaked on the other end. "Rydie!" I cringed.

"Don't you dare fucking call me that." I said sternly.

"What's wrong, baby?" she said.

"What's wrong?! I don't know Monica, what is wrong!? Why don't you tell me what the hell you said to Ruby!" I was practically screaming.

I heard her scoff. "That crazy chick? She's not eve-"

"You don't deserve anyone Monica. And if I hear you insult Ruby one more time, I swear I'll get someone to shut you up."

I heard her go silent over the phone. "She deserved it."

"For what!?!?" I screamed again, crackling my voice. "What did she ever fucking do to you!?"

"She took you from me! I already told you! I'm the one who's supposed to be with you. Not her. I'm the girl who you slept with. Not. Her."

"Well you know what Monica? I wish I'd never met you. And leading you on was a terrible idea. Ruby is so much better than you. So much better than anyone I've met for that matter. I hope you have a horrible life in Slutville, Monica." And then I hung up.

Raking back my hair, I took a deep breath and flopped down on my bed. If I turned my head to the right, I would see Ruby's window that led to her room. Sometimes I would catch glimpses of her dancing around or typing away furiously on her computer, which would cause me to smile. But today, when I went to search for her amazingly familiar flash of brown hair and a perfect face, I only saw drawn blinds that blocked me out.

Sighing, I just stared at her window, hoping that if I watched long enough, she would miraculously open it and call me over to watch a movie like old times.

Old times.

When was the last time I truly felt at home with anyone? After my dad died, mom has been working non-stop and I had stopped befriending people because everyone was a fake except Felix and Ruby. I hated practically everyone.

But then I met Ruby. Ruby with her soft brown hair that I had twirled in my fingers and her sweet, sweet lips that I had kissed only just this morning.

I felt so...lost. So empty and forgotten. She probably hated me now. No, she definitely hated me.

I closed my eyes and let my mind wander about her. It was scary giving into someone so much, but I knew that she was worth it.

•••

There's about four or five chapters left, including an epilogue!

Have a fantastic day, much love,

-Anne :)