forty-six

Narcissa left the bedroom and locked the door behind her. As soon as she was gone, I stood up and limped into the bathroom. My entire body felt so sore.

It was a nice sized bathroom, with a toilet in the corner and a bathtub against the wall. I looked at myself in the mirror again. I looked even worse up close. I ran a finger through my hair, which was very dry.

My stomach suddenly lurched and I clapped my hand over my mouth. I rushed to the toilet and began to vomit everything that was left in my stomach. My throat burned as I stood up. I felt awful. I gripped the wall as I stumbled back to the bed, trying to avoid falling. White spots danced in my vision.

I collapsed onto the bed and curled myself into a ball. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to get the light-headed feeling to go away. I laid there for a few minutes, trying to push away the sickness.

There were footsteps from the hallway and the door clicked open. I flipped around and saw that Draco had just entered the room.

I sat up. "Draco," I breathed.

He shut the door softly behind him and rushed over to me. He sat beside me on the bed and wrapped me into his arms. "Thank God you're okay."

I pressed myself into his chest, savoring his warmth. It was the first time I had touched him in months. It was torture, talking to him through that cell door for months.

"I wanted you to get away," he said softly. "I wanted you to escape."

"I was so close," I choked out. "So close."

"I know," he said, reaching out to stroke my hair. "I know."

We sat there for a moment, just taking in each other's presences. "I probably smell awful," I said with a small laugh.

His face broke out into a smile. "Just a bit," he replied.

"Yeah," I chuckled. "I haven't showered since... December."

"Let's get you cleaned up then," he muttered. He released me and stood up, holding his arms out so I could take them.

I reached my hands out and gripped onto his arms. He pulled me up into his arms. With his help, he half-carried me into the bathroom. He lowered me onto a stool by the bathtub.

"I think I can do it by myself from now," I said.

"You can hardly walk, Evangeline," he replied. He switched the faucet on and water began to pour out of it. He stood up and walked over to the cabinet below the sink. He opened it and reached inside. "Want some bubbles?"

"Sure," I said, a smile creeping onto my face.

He pulled out a bottle and walked over to the bath. He poured the soap into the bath and bubbles began to form in the water.

I gripped the edge of the stool. "So, um..."

"I can go if you want," he said quietly. "But, er, you don't look so good. I don't want you to... pass out or anything."

I bit my lip. "No, you should stay. Turn around."

"What? Oh— Alright." He quickly turned around.

I pulled off my shirt and tugged off my pants and underwear. I lowered myself into the bath, which was now completely filled with bubbling hot water up to the top of my chest. I sighed as the water warmed my entire body up. I dunked my head back into the water and wet my hair.

"You can look now," I said.

Draco turned around and looked at me. His pale face was slightly flushed. "You okay?"