chapter eleven

p a r k e r

"Baylor! Parker, you there?" Medical staff surround me as I lay on the ice.

My head is pounding and I feel like the air got knocked right out of my chest. "Dude, are you okay? You look like you got hit by a truck." I hear Deacon say.

I might as well have been hit by one. Dominic, a burly player on the Jets, elbowed me right in the center of my ribs. Then, a puck flew at my helmet. You'd think the visor would have protected me, but it actually left a deep cut above my eyebrow.

I'm escorted onto the bench, while our team doctor examines my face. She tips my head back and presses a gauze onto the cut. I try my best not to wince, but damn, that hurts. I can sense the fear and anticipation of the fans. Some watching me as I get my cut checked out, others looking at the blood left on the ice.

"Baylor," Doc says with a solemn expression. "I don't think you're concussed, but you most likely have a bruised rib. Possibly fractured, but I won't know until I can complete a more thorough examine. You are definitely going to need stitches for that cut." She points to my bleeding eyebrow.

I close my eyes and grunt angrily. "C'mon Doc, the third period is almost over. Can't you just bandage the damn thing."

She gives me an incredulous look. "Parker, you know better than anyone on the team that the safety of all players is the first priority."

"And as the team captain, I also know that I need to be on the ice for my team," I challenge.

"BAYLOR! Get the damn stitches before you faint," Coach Matthew yells. "And get your chest checked out before I fracture your ribs myself," he threatens.

I stand up and look at the scoreboard. "Coach, there's only seven minutes left."

"Don't test me, son." I know this is a battle I won't win.

I stomp furiously into the tunnel leading to the locker room. The crowd boos as I exit because they want me to continue playing. Fucking Dominic. Usually, I'm a level headed and calm person, but right now, I'm feeling particularly violent.

________________________

"I hope you know that cut wasn't minor," Doc tells me as she packs up the first aid kit.

"I didn't feel a thing when my visor cut me or when you stitched me up." I shrug and she let's out a humorless laugh.

"Stubborn athletes," she mutters under her breath.

She leaves right before the rest of my team comes in, cheering loudly. Looks like we took home the victory. "BAYLOR! WE TOOK THE DUB!" I hear my teammates yell.

"Yeah, we did," I smile at Deacon and Miles. "Congrats, boys."

Deacon scoffs, "Just because you missed the last few minutes, doesn't mean you weren't an important asset to the team."

"Thanks, man." I pat Deacon on the back.

"I body slammed Dominic for you," he says.

I chuckle. "Good."

I quickly shower and pack up my things, wanting to see Olivia. My anger completely dissolves when I see my number displayed on her back. I sneak up behind her without warning and wrap my arms around her waist. She startles at first and pushes away slightly.

When she turns around, her frantic eyes soften. "Parker, you scared me." She puts a hand on her chest.

Her eyes fill with concern again. "Are you okay?" She places her tiny palms on my cheek. "I saw the blood on the ice and almost passed out. You were just lying there and I"— I cut her off by smashing my lips onto hers, not so gracefully.