IX. WELCOME TO S.H.I.E.L.D.

Months have gone by and all I have done was practice

        Months have gone by and all I have done was practice. I learned from Mother how to control my energy to keep me from tiring myself. And when I wasn't practicing my powers, I was training like a warrior. No energy, no powers, just fighting.

         Father continued to teach Thor to be a king. A king who is wise and shows patience, something Thor learned during his time on Midgard.

          I walked through the castle and to the Throne Room. The two guards that stood in front of the doors let me in, where I walked before my Father, who sat on the throne.

         "You called for me, Father?" I questioned, looking up at him.

         "Iduna, what do you know of the Tesseract?" Father asked. The Tesseract? I've read books about it, but I only know little of it.

         "The Tesseract can transport anyone through space, wherever they desire." I answered. "But Father, the Tesseract has been on Midgard for centuries, why the sudden concern for it?"

          "Heimdall has seen that the Midgardians are trying to find use of it, as an energy source." Father responded.

          "Oh..." I muttered.

          "Which is why I, the Allfather, am sending you on a mission to Midgard." My eyes quickly darted up after hearing Father's words.

          "What?" I breathed out. A mission? My first mission?

           "We cannot use the Bifrost, for it is destroyed. But if we use enough Dark Magic, we could send you to Midgard."

          "D-do you want me to retrieve the Tesseract?" I was beyond confused.

           "Retrieving the Tesseract from the humans would not be that simple. I need you to watch over them, as an adviser. They are dealing with a power they know so little of."

          "But... why me? Why not send Thor? He certainly has more experience on Earth." I asked, Father would never usually let me do something like this.

          "Thor is a great fighter, and soon to be a greater king. But you know more of the Tesseract than he does, you are better fit for this. And your Mother and I think you are ready for this." I looked down at the steps, I was still so shocked. "Iduna, are you ready for this?" Father asked. I look up, my eyes meeting my Father's.

           "Yes, I am."

• • •

          I stood in front of my mirror, wearing my battle armor. Today was the day I would be sent to Midgard. I've dreamed of this day, the day Father would trust me enough to handle a mission like this on my own. But I was still fairly anxious, this was the first time I would leave Asgard, alone.