The Archangel Maple

"Hoo...." Maple relished the picturesque scenery passing by outside her carriage window, of people, buildings, and some stuff she have no knowledge of.

She found herself accompanied by the church's personal knight division, escorting her away from the plaza. Sitting opposite her was the pope, his gaze fixed on the ground, occasionally sneaking a look at her.

"..."

The situation felt slightly uncomfortable for Maple, as though she were a doll on display, meant to be gawked at by onlookers. It reminded her of a particular doll she had yearned for as a child, the one her mother had to drag her away from as she cried incessantly.

"...Hehehe..."

"Hmm?" The pope murmured, attentive to Maple in case she had something to say.

"Oh, it's nothing." Maple politely dismissed.

Understanding that it was best to maintain the effect of her skill 《Self-Offering Love》for the time being, as the “NPCs” reacted strongly to it. Both of them sat in relative silence throughout the journey, passing through the bustling merchant's district, until...

Suddenly, the carriage came to an abrupt halt as if something obstructed the horses' path.

"Get out of the way!" an angry knight's voice reached Maple's ears, the intensity making it seem as though the anger was directed at her.

"....Tch." The pope clicked his tongue disdainfully at his subordinate's foolishness, Maple herself could clearly hear his disapproval.

"No! Help my son, please!" a commotion unfolded outside the carriage, the sound reaching Maple's ears. Once again, a crowd began to gather in her vicinity, observable through the carriage door's window. "What...." She attempted to rise to her feet for a clearer view.

Concerned by her distressed expression, the pope quickly attempted to conceal the incident.

"Worry not, arch messenger-sama, it is likely just another ungrateful individual seeking further donations from the church. Our generosity sometimes encourages people to take advantage," the pope explained, sweetening his words to mask his emotions. The last thing he wanted was to expose their previous practices to this angelic figure before him, not knowing if she was already aware or not.

"That only gives me more reason to worry," Maple uttered in a disappointed tone, swiftly exiting the carriage and stepping onto the poorly maintained cobblestone street.

As her feet touched the hard bricks, her gaze swept the surroundings, and she swiftly noticed an elderly woman cradling a young boy, both immersed in tears near the side of the carriage she had just occupied. The woman knelt on the unforgiving, jagged road, her tattered skirt revealing wounds on her knees. Her son clung to her, seeking refuge from the relentless attempts of the knights to dismiss his mother.

Several knights, adorned with the church's insignia, stood before the woman, berating her openly, showing no restraint in their actions, words, or gestures, right in front of the gathered crowd.

"You dare impede the path of this noble carriage? We are escorting an angel, an Angel!" one of the knights bellowed, his voice laced with annoyance and pride. The other knights raised their feet, preparing to deliver a forceful kick to the lady. However, their attempts were thwarted by an unexpected obstacle.