Chapter 35

A week had gone by since we returned from the camping trip. Nothing much happened, other than the fact that I got an unexpected Theo visit and got yelled at for an hour. Going anywhere without bodyguards or a phone was out of the question for me, but I knew how to protect myself.

I shoved my burger into my mouth, completely starving. We decided to eat out at the San-Fran Grill near our college building, aka the place Roman took me when we first met.

Jade continued her previous conversation, popping a fry into her mouth. "Anyway I have this huge ass ulcer on my-"

"Girl shut up. Nobody wants to hear that while eating food." Roman scowled making her roll her eyes.

I had just taken another bite of my burger when the door swung open and another few customers entered. I didn't think much of it, until I had seen Enzo.

He was with another girl. Chloe. On a date?

It definitely looked liked it by the way he held her hand, a disinterested look on his face like he owned her, and she didn't seem to mind it as she chatted away.

He didn't even look in my direction once as he sat down at a table. That was how it had been ever since we got here, we never looked in the others direction or exchanged any words. Good.

I tried hard not to pay attention to them and returned to my burger. The voices of Roman and Jade blurred out, all I could focus on was what they were saying.

Mindless flirting. He was such a fucking player, and Chloe was practically trying to capture him for herself. He didn't even mind- god why did I give a fuck?

I continued eating my food, listening to them in the background while I tried to lose myself in Roman's discussion. And when she leaned in to kiss him, I had enough.

"I'm going to the bathroom." I breathed as I stood up. I walked past them calmly, the last thing I wanted was for him to know I was even slightly bothered.

I washed my hands in the sink, thinking of heading to the club later with Roman and Jade. I could use a cute distraction, though I didn't even know why I needed one.

The tissue paper soaked my wet hands and I tossed it in the trash before before someone else walked in - Chloe. She stopped in front of the mirror and silently re-applied her lipgloss. It was a cute colour I'll admit.

"Oh, Shy isn't it?"

"Mmhmm." I replied, heading to the door but her suddenly sharp tone made me pause.

"Woah, not so fast." She said before spinning around. God, all that sweetness she walked in with had practically drained from her face. "You might have a thing for Enzo, but he doesn't care about you."

My eyes narrowed. I would have smacked her one but I was feeling charitable today. "What makes you think I have a thing for Enzo?"

"We all do honey."

I placed my hand on the door handle. "Well Cleo, you should know that I don't give a damn about any of you. Not you. Not Enzo."

Her lips parted as I walked out. Calling people by the wrong names was always hilarious to me. When I returned to my place, I noticed Enzo had left.

I didn't think much of it and continued eating, though my food had gotten cold by now. When the three of us got up to leave, I parted ways with Roman and Jade. The two of them wanted to go to a party, which I was in no mood for.

"Sure you don't wanna come?" Roman asked, opening the door of the grill. The sounds of the rain pouring down became more apparent, great.

"I'm sure, have fun though." I replied before we all left. Rain pattered against broken concrete. The wind blew my hair around violently. It was fucking freezing, winter here really was no joke.

I now regretting not bringing an umbrella or wearing a jacket, the water was chilling. I'd have to shower it all off when I got back.

I walked 2 blocks, eventually not even caring about my soaked clothes. My eyes followed a sports car whooshing past me, black and shiny before it slowed down next to me.

My heart dropped. My hand rested on the barrel of my gun, prepared to die in a drive-by but then the window rolled down and my eyes met with indifferent silver ones.

Enzo was waiting for me to get in. As relieved as I was that it was him and not an enemy, I refused. I wasn't going to take a ride from him, especially not when I was trying so hard to make him a stranger again - as if we had never met.

When he realised I wasn't going to get in, he drove off. Finally, I thought. But then his car stopped and he opened the passenger seat door from inside.

Again, I paid no attention to him. I'd just walked past his car, before stopping myself. I almost felt guilty, he was trying so hard. A sigh left my mouth, and I finally turned towards his car. It was only when I sat down had I realised how soaked I was.

The door closed, and the silence settled in. Crawling under my skin and taunting me. It didn't help that his car smelled just like him, and it was filled with his warmth. He must have gotten it new, though I wonder if he still had his bike.

The whole ride I didn't look his way and he didn't look in mine. Not a word or sound escaping us, yet the air was sparked with something so heavy it physically pushed on my chest.

I was already dying to get out, counting how long it would take till we reached my dorm building. When the ride dragged on painfully long, I started to wish I was bickering with him, because this quiet was killing me.

We stopped outside my dorm building. For a moment I thought words would take control and spill from my mouth. The urge hung low within me, I knew I would do something stupid if I didn't get out of here now.