Chapter 9: Unexpected Visitor

"Hey," Callie hears a familiar voice over the beeping of hospital machines. She slowly opens her non-black eye. Josh coming into view.

            "Hey," she answers, trying to sit up and look somewhat presentable. She begins to laugh at herself.

            "How are you doing?" he asks her, a bouqet of flowers in his hand.

            "Um, I'm okay. My face hurts," she can't help but laugh. An imprint of trhe ball seam under her eye.

            "Well I'm sure it doesn't feel good. It doesn't seem too bad. You have to shake it off and get back out there," Josh winks at her, pulling up a chair by her bed.

            "Okay dad," she smirks. "That's what he said," Callie says, holding the ice pack to her eye.

            "Your dad told you that?" Josh asks surprised, leaning back in his chair crossing his arms. Callie's eyes running along the muscles through his shirt.

            "Yeah," she answers, pulling the ice away and revealing her black eye.

            "Well, it certainly gives you character," Josh leans in and looks at it closer.

            "It feels awful."

            "Well, you're still hot," Josh says boldly, sliding his hand on Callie's cheek, running his thumb lightly over the bruise.

            Callie is full of surprise when it comes to Josh as he runs his thumb under her eye. "Thank you for the flowers. They are beautiful," Callie nods.

            Josh pulls away, leaning back in his chair once more. "Oh you're welcome."

            "You didn't have to do that," Callie sits up a little more.

            "I don't mind," he shrugs his shoulders.

            "Thank you for coming to the game and you know, supporting us."

            "Well it was either that or sit at home and listen to my parents yell at me, so it's no problem," he says.

            "Yell at you huh? Are you that bad?" Callie pushes, fixing her braid.

            "They don't exactly agree with a lot of what I do," he shrugs. "But, anways, what are you up to tonight?"

            "I have a big test to study for tonight so probably that," Callie says, putting the ice back on her face.

            "So, lame as usual," Josh winks.

            "I need to keep my grades up," Callie says defensive.

            "When is your test?"

            "At the end of the week," she answers. "It's kind of a nerve wracking test though."

            "Why are you so nervous if you already have a scholarship and know where you're going?"

            "I have to maintain my grades, or I lose my scholarship," says Callie.

            "You don't have to study constantly to get good grades," Josh points out.

            "You wouldn't last a day in my house," Callie says laughing a little.

            "I'm not trying too," Josh stares at her for a second. He leans up and kisses her softly on the lips, sliding his hand on her thigh. The hospital room door opening. A woman clears her throat.

            "Young man, may I help you?" Callie's mom Angie steps in.

            Josh straightens up before extending his hand. "Oh hi, I'm Josh. I go to school with Callie."

            Callie's mom gives Josh the once over, not taking his hand but instead walking to Callie's bedside. "Come on, we are leaving," her mom speaks, noticing the flowers.

            "Nice to meet you too," he pulls his hand away, giving Callie a look. "See you later Callie," he grabs his jacket and walks out of the room.

             "Really mom?" Callie looks at her mom. "You could've been a little nicer," she says, getting out of the bed but continuing to keep the ice on her face.

            "Honey, you don't need to be dating anyone. You're about to go out of state to college plus, he looked like trouble."

            Callie doesn't respond, only grabbing the flowers and following her mom out the door.