Chapter Fifty-Seven: I Liked Being Your Schmuck

"I don't understand. You've seen this before?" Robin asked as we rushed back down the stairs.

"Not exactly." Steve answered.

"Then what, exactly?"

"All you need to know is its bad." Dustin told her.

"Its really bad."

"Like end-of-the-human-race-as-we-know-it kind of bad."

"And you three know about this how?"

"Um, Steve?" Erica asked. "Where's your Russian friend?" We all looked down to see blood on the floor, but no body. Just as we spotted it a red light started flashing and an alarm started blaring.

"Crap." Steve ran over, opening the door to see the injured soldier crouched over as the others jumped into action, yelling in Russian at each other. They looked up and saw us just as Steve slammed the door shut again. "Crap. Go, go, go, go, go! Go!" We took off running back upstairs again, running into the observation deck and down the stairs of it as the soldiers trickled in behind us. Dustin screamed, pushing past a man in a hazmat suit and we ran until we came to the end of the platform directly beside the laser. It was a dead end. I turned around, spotting another set of stairs leading under the platform.

"This way!" I screamed. We ran down more stairs, pushing past scientists as we did so. More soldiers came in front the side, only to have Steve pushed a pile of oil drums into them. The soldiers caught up just as we reached another door, running inside and holding the door shut behind us. Steve and I leaned against it as Robin, Dustin, and Erica began looking for a way out. The soldiers began beating against it, shouting in Russian, and Steve and I were struggling to keep the door closed.

"Here, come on, let's go!' Erica opened a hatch in the floor that she found, climbing down into it.

"Come on!" Dustin shotued.

"Go, all three of you just get out of here!" Steve yelled.

"Go, come on, now!'

"No! Just go get some help, ok?" Robin and Dustin just looked at us.

"Go! We'll be fine, just go! Find my Dad, find someone!" I screamed.

"I won't forget you!" Dustin shouted.

"GO!" We screamed in unison as Robin and Dustin disappeared through the hatch.

The door flew open, knocking us both to the floor, and within seconds there were about ten Russian soldiers in front of us pointing guns in our faces.

~~~

An open hand flew across my face, prompting me to spit blood out on the floor.

Apparently the Russians aren't fans of sarcasm.

At this point in time I had a split lip, a cut on my eyebrows that was leaking blood into my eyes every five seconds, and I was fairly certain that he entire left side of my face was more bruises than skin.

"Oh that's great. Just fantastic, I admire that you only use the open hand. I guess you guys do have some moral standards about punching women." I said dryly, earning another slap across the face.

"Who do you work for?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, can you not understand what I'm saying?" I shot back. "I've told you, I don't work for anybody. I'm not a spy, or a soldier, or an agent of any kind, I'm an eighteen-year-old ice cream shop employee that ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time." The soldier brought the back of his hand full force across my face, whipping my head to the side at full force. "THERE'S NOTHING TO SAY! I HAVE NO INFORMATION!"