Chapter 3

I woke up to the screams and mumurs of the rest of the misfits. Their ear piercing screams were something that I got used to. Some of them spoke things to themselves. The House for Misfits didn't make them better in fact it made them worse. As the days went on each of us were that much closer to insanity. One day one of us would hit "rock bottom" and go completely insane. Punishments were assigned if you disobeyed Mrs.  Brunswick and the Guards. I guess that's why most people didn't throw a fit in the common room.

I don't know when I'll get released but one day they'll give me a date for my release. I'm 18 and I'm still stuck here.

Honestly, I thought I would've got out by now. I was one of the only sane people left here. Most were already over the edge of insanity unless you were new. One day I'd hit "rock bottom." Everyone does, even the strongest people would tear one day.

That's why I like Harry. He wasn't insane yet.

Little did she know what he was capable of. Everyone was insane in the city of Gem.

Mavis' POV

Like everyday, Brian appeared at my cell to dismiss me to go to breakfast. My hunger wasn't the only thing I was thinking about. I had a hunger to see his memerizing green eyes again. Indeed I did see those eyes of the man again. Harry sat at the same table we had met at yesterday. His prominent jawline, his long dark lashes, his smirk, his dark raspy voice, his tangled chestnut curls, his deep dimples,  everything about him made me weak.

"Mavis," he grinned acknowledging me.

"Hi Harry," I exclaimed with unexpected excitement. I should be afraid but the scariness of him was slowly wearing off.

He was drawing on a old scrap of paper.

The girl had brown wavy hair,  dark lashes, electric blue eyes,  and dark red lips. She was beautiful. The more I studied her the more she resembled me.

"Like what you see?" He asked smirking at my reaction.

"I love it. I didn't know you could draw that well." I told him in surprise.

"It's just something that I always liked to do. My mom was a artist." He stated.

I could see a glimpse of pain in his eyes as he mentioned her. Were his parents dead, too?

"Harry where are your parents?" I asked trying to be as polite as I could.

"They're up in heaven now. " he told me.

He didn't break a tear at all like most people would.

"Mine too," I sighed.

"How did your's die? " he asked.

"In a car accident but I don't believe that." I stated reliving the painful memories of the cops telling me of their death.

"That's what the cops told me," Harry added.

"My parents are gone and they told me they died in a car accident," he confessed.

"I'm so sorry," I cried. I felt his hands grab my waist pulling me into his tight grip. It felt different to have someone hugging me. His embrace made me feel safe and secure.

"Mavis we are in this together," he cooed.

"What really did happen to our parents Harry?" I asked with a worried look written all over my face.

"I don't know but we're going to find out. If they were murdered I swear they'll be in big trouble," he yelled a little too loud. His knuckles were turning white as he clenched his fists. This was the different side of him. He could be dangerous with his tall muscular build.

"I'm in with you. Together we'll find the real truth," I promised to him.

Harry and I were a team. Together we were going to hunt the secret of what really happened to our parents.