010

september 7th, 2019
7:17 pm

THE FIRST THOUGHT THAT CAME TO SHARIFE'S HEAD UPON MEETING DEVON TAYLOR WAS

This nigga don't be talking about shit.

The second thought was that he didn't deserve to have someone as kind and unjudgemental as Kylah was in his life.

Sharife had arrived at Kylah's house almost a half hour ago and had to sit through him telling bullshit stories, trying to impress her enough for a real chance. Any other girl would've already called him out on his bullshit but Sharife had to sit by himself while he waited for Destiny and pretended like he didn't notice that the too-wide smile on Kylah's face was fake.

"You were at the USA Camp right? I got an invite but I had to turn it down because I got injured." Devon said, his eyes on his phone but directing his statement to where Sharife was sitting a few cushions away on the red leather couch.

Sharife gave Devon an amused smile, "Oh. You play basketball?" He met Kylah's eyes past Devon's shoulder and was greeted by her watching the interaction with a hand pressed to her mouth in an attempt to hide a smile.

Devon's smile started to fade a little, "Yeah. I think we played each other sophomore year."

Sharife nodded to give the pretense of remembering and Devon stood, "Where's your bathroom again?"

Kylah pointed behind her to the hallway, "It's on the left."

As soon as Devon had walked off, Kylah quickly rose to her feet and perched only a few inches away from Sharife, her legging-covered knee brushing against his outer thigh, "Okay, what do you think?"

Sharife licked his bottom lip at the mix of her proximity and the fruity scent of her perfume invading his senses, "Of what?"

"Of Devon. What do you think of Devon?" Kylah responded, gesturing with her palms up to the ceiling.

"Do you want honesty or do you want me trying to be nice?" Sharife mused after a deep breath.

"Honesty?" Kylah said in a hesitant tone, "No, wait be nice. No! Honesty."

"He is the biggest capper I've ever seen. He's not talking about shit, Ky," Sharife admitted with a laugh.

"I mean... There's no proof that he's-." Kylah began. "He is. I didn't even know ole boy existed until today. Talking about how he was supposed to be at USA Camp." Sharife shook his head, "Trying way too hard."