Chapter 21

Commander Bumi was sleeping not so peacefully in his bed.

Terrible images of his wife and in-laws flashed in his eyelids, as well as his son's tear stained face, and horrific images of a mangled little girl, his little girl.

The girl seemed to call to him, but he resisted the best he could.

He needed to keep his head straight for Iroh and his soldiers.

It had been a week since he told Iroh, and the young man refused to address him as his father, he was also skipping when he sent Zun to have him come up.

Bumi threw himself over in the bed, landing on his stomach with his face facing the wall.

He could hear a storm outside, but it was nowhere near as bad as most others. The ship even had a gentle rock to it.

"Daddy!" He heard the little voice in his head.

Tears leaked out of his closed eyes as the little warrior girl appeared in his vision, running towards him before disappearing.

Bumi heard a quiet squeak, but didn't move, assuming his door just blew open from the wind.

He heard it shut again and he seemed content.

Until he heard the footsteps.

No one came into his cabin except Zun and Iroh. Zun only came when asked and Iroh always knocked, he knew something wasn't right.

He reached his hand into a crevice in his headboard, wrapping his hand around the throwing knife Fire Lord Zuko gave him before he left for a deployment.

Bumi tensed when he felt a hand touch his shoulder, it felt small, like a child's hand.

"Commander Bumi," The voice said quietly.

Bumi's eyes snapped open, it couldn't be.

The person shook his shoulder, "Daddy. Daddy wake up."

Bumi sat up and rolled over just enough to look over his shoulder.

He saw the small figure standing next to the bed, the moonlight illuminating a little girl's face.

"Oh Spirits," He breathed. "The Sea madness is thrashing me around."

Bumi slammed his head back down.

"Sea madness?" The little voice sounded confused, "Daddy it's me, Suki."

Bumi picked up the pillow and covered his head.

"Daddy!" The girl tugged on the pillow, "It's me Daddy. It's Suki."

Bumi grunted when she jumped on him, knocking the air out of his lungs.

"Daddy, it's Suki, I promise."

Bumi lifted the pillow a bit, seeing the girl had lit his lamp.

He sat up, "Suki?"

Bumi reached out for her.

Suki leaned her face into his palm when he touched her cheek.

"It's me Daddy," She touched his hand, closing her eyes. "I'm here."

Bumi's eyes turned glassy and he threw his arms around her, "Oh, thank you, Spirits! My baby girl is alive!"

Suki giggled and hugged him tight.

Bumi stroked her hair off her face, before kissing her face all over.

Suki giggled as he planted one long kiss on her cheek.