Chapter 52: A Misunderstanding

Matteo Giovanni POV:

A month earlier...

I peel my eyes apart and clutch my forehead at the sound of my phone ringing. Why do I feel like I'm hungover?

I rake my brain through last night.

Mia and I had a drink or two, we talked like normal people and it was nice. Then... We kissed. And she kissed me back. My lips curl into a grin at the thought. All of my restraint is paying off, she's falling for me just as I did for her.

Last night I had been so close to telling her that I would let her go once we returned to New York. After the kiss, I was in absolute euphoria, and I was going to break the news to her then and there, but she had asked me to leave.

Hopefully I'll be able to tell her this morning, and hopefully last night meant as much to her as it did to me.

Groaning at the painful ringing of my phone, I yank it from its charger, answering and placing it to my ear. "This better be fucking worth calling me at four in the morning." I growl.

On the other end I can hear frantic voices and the ragged breathing of one of my men; Sebastian. "Sir, there's been a problem." He chokes out.

"Spit it out then."

"Dante has been compromised."

I intake a sharp breath.

"What?" I grit.

"He's been shot in the abdomen."

What the fuck? Shot... Shot?

I fly out of my bed and place my phone on speaker as I begin to dress myself. "Tell me every fucking detail."

"He was found by two members of the public in the alleyway beside the apartment complex, lying unconscious and bleeding out at one-thirty this morning. It appeared that someone had attempted to slow the bleeding with a jumper... It just managed to save his life. He's currently being transported to hospital right now."

A million thoughts run through my brain. Who shot him? Who tried to save his life? Why did they shoot him? Could it have been those trying to kill Mia?

"Send someone up to the apartment to look after Mia, and send me the address of the hospital, I'm on my way now."

"Yes sir."

A deep pain rips through my chest. I have known Dante since we were merely children. I don't know if I would be able to live without him beside my side. I think I owe my life to the person who saved his.

Hanging up the phone, I pull on some shoes and and grab my gun, shoving it into the inside of my jacket, running from my room and out into the hall. My eyes drift to Mia's room, the door closed. She is probably asleep, I should leave her be. I don't want her worrying about Dante. I know they've both grown close.

I stalk to the elevator and once I reach the car park, I get into my Porsche 911 receiving the address to the hospital.

***

Once I reach the hospital, I'm greeted by five of my men who escort me to Dante's hospital room.

It's still dark outside and the city is quiet. It feels empty and cold. I place my hand inside my jacket, feeling the reassuring cold metal against my skin. Whoever shot Dante could be trailing us, even coming here is highly dangerous... But I have to see Dante. I have to see that he's alright.

We reach the outside of his room after making many twists and turns through the maze-like hospital interior. Standing guard are another five of my men, including Sebastian, the one who called me.