CHAPTER 32

My mom refused to let go of me. She just hugged me tightly after I narrated my whole experience to her. My daughter and David were still asleep so we spoke in hushed tones in my room.

"This is the best thing you've told me in ages" she was so ecstatic. My mama suddenly stood up and started dancing. Yes there was no music, but somehow when I joined her, we had a rhythm. Maybe we had the same song playing in our hearts.

After dancing we both sat down and talked at length on my bed and I must have fallen asleep because when I awoke, my mom was not present and my daughter was by my side. Her face buried in my arm and she clutched my hand tightly.

"Hey" I said softly. She looked up at me and held my hand more tightly if that's possible.

"Please don't be hurt mummy" she said in a shaky voice.

"No no, I promise I'm not hurt at all. Look" I tried to sit up but she didn't let me.

"You always cry because of Daddy, I hate Daddy" she wiped her tears angrily and sniffed. I wrapped my free hand around her and rubbed her back.

"No don't say that, he had nothing to do with this. I wasn't crying because I was hurt, I was crying because I was extremely happy. I was so happy I had to shout for joy" I explained in the best way I could.

"Really?" the doubt written all over her face.

"Of course. I am so happy. I just remembered Jesus loves us, so I am very happy" I gave her big smile and nudged her nose with mine.

"I love you too mummy and I love Jesus too" she gave me  a big smile in return.

"Why aren't you in school?" I asked after remembering it's not weekend yet and sat up abruptly.

"Grandma said I could skip" her eyes were shining. If there is anything Mariana loves about school apart from seeing her friends, it's skipping school. I looked at the time and it was already 12pm. Did I sleep that long?

"You shouldn't be skipping school. I'll take you to school myself" I playfully threatened. My daughter who was so worried about my wellbeing took off running away faster than I could blink and she did not look back.

I stretched and got out of bed but before I could take a step towards the bathroom, my phone rang. It was my lawyer.

Calling so early? Then I realized again it was already 12pm. I cleared my throat and picked up the call.

"I sent you an email and a text message this morning to confirm your attendance to the settlement meeting with Barry and his lawyers but you didn't respond so I decided to give you a call, to get the response" he spoke without pausing. If he ever wants to switch up careers, he should become a rapper.

"I apologise, I was busy all morning I had no time to check my phone. I have to ask, is my attendance compulsory? I asked hoping his answer would be no.

Alas it was yes. "You have to be there" he said and left no room for argument.

"Ok I understand. When is the meeting?" I asked with a yawn.

"By 3pm today in my office. Do have a nice day Miss Selena" he said and ended the call.

I might not be a lawyer but I want to scream objection so bad. How am I supposed to be a meeting by 3pm today without at least prior notice. I don't like impromptu things, I like being prepared.

What I felt about the issue did not matter because when the time came, i found myself sitting in a small conference room with my lawyer and his team including Barry and his.

The lawyers were bantering between themselves and I just sat there awkwardly staring at an ink smudge on the table. Maybe a bored employee created that smudge and my mind started creating stories about the origin of an ink stain on a table. I focused on it so much my eyes began to water.

Thankfully my lawyer saved me from my staring contest with the ink smudge when he called my attention.

"Miss Selena, please play the audio" he said smugly, smirking at his colleague. Well at least he looks like he's winning.

I reached for my phone in my bag but I was stopped by a voice.

"No need" he said quietly, but I heard it. Everyone heard it. His lawyer began to aggressively whisper to him about something.

"I don't care" he bursted out at the female esquire who looked more disappointed than shocked.

He looked at me and spoke the magic words.