Chapter 86

Vectors were everywhere, heading for the burning campus.

I dashed behind a van, catching a shadow stumbling out from the side of a house, a woman dressed in a tattered red blouse, dried specks of blood already caked her skin, mouth, and her long blonde hair. I quickly came up behind her and pulled hard on her hair, bringing her down to her knees. I didn't give her a chance to scream as I drove the hatchet down onto her neck twice, almost decapitating her.

I took a step back. So tired...No. I shook my head, trying to keep moving forward. Keep it together, I thought. People are counting on you.

Tired...

I glanced at the massive billows of black smoke rising from the school's left-wing, now becoming a rallying point for all the vectors around the area. Soon, the campus was going to be overrun. It worried me that I didn't hear gunshots from inside, only the wind and the fire.

There should be something, some gunfight, screams. Nothing.

Logan, Peter, I'm almost there! Guys, just hold on! Don't be dead!

Tired...

I didn't want to think how I'm surrounded by these monsters, where one could pop out at any moment, trapping me. How their teeth bared on my flesh, tearing out my muscles and bones, my pleas lost to their mercy. They had never been merciful. Would I still be alive then? Would I watch myself ripped apart before my brain seized up in shock? Would I watch and scream or close my eyes and let fate decide?

They'll get you one day. One bite. That's all it takes, Bren. Make it not this day, another voice at the back of my mind lingered.

Luke.

You must survive.

I shook my head. I didn't want to leave anyone behind.

You must. You promised me.

I...I did. I remembered.

Yes. You must survive. Your father taught you everything. He will understand, even the hard choices.

I saw the bridge to my left, still intact, leading out across the river; The woods sitting invitingly just on the other side. The Alphas already reached the school's entrance and could count at least a dozen of them gathered around there, opposite the wing where the fires roared. I realized if I had to get to my friends, I had to kill them, too. I had to get through twelve men.

One bullet. High risk. It will get you.

I could fight.

One bullet.

I could still fight.

One bullet.

One bullet.

One bullet!

I...I can't.

No, you can't—too many.

Twelve men.

Outnumbered. Outgunned.

But...my friends. They're still in there.

Dead.

No. If there's a chance...

Do you have to? You can stop the killing, Bren. Survive. Run and prevent more blood on your hands.

How many had I killed already? I could still feel their blood sticking underneath my fingernails, how futile it was to wipe them off my hand. The smell of gunpowder overpowered my nostrils as men screamed close to my ears. If I drew the knife out, my pistol...would I hear them scream again?