chapter 13

My vision starts to clear up and I can see properly again. I'm in the back of a truck, sweating. Steve, Nat, Sam and Maria are with me but they don't know that Maria is here. I'm chained up and Steve was talking.

"He looked right at me like he didn't even know me"

"How is that even possible? It was, like, 70 years ago" Sam questioned.

"Zola. Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43. Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and...-"

"None of that's your fault, Steve" I heard Nat say.

No one knew I was awake and I couldn't speak. I was tired and the pain was still there. It hurt like hell.

"Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky"

I groaned at the pain, causing everyone to look and I was gonna cry again. Sam saw how hurt I looked and how much pain I was in.

"We need to get a doctor here. If we don't put pressure on her wounds and help her properly she's gonna bleed out here in the truck"

Maria, I think, held out a taser at Sam. She then twisted it and hit the guard next to her, kicked the guy in the face and they fell on the floor, knocked out.

"Maria" I grunt out, wincing loudly as I say it.

"Ah, that thing was squeezing my brain" she sighed then pushed her hair back "Who is this guy?" she asked.

~~~~~

We were outside Maria's base and Steve carried me bridal style as I was too dizzy and weak to walk. I was putting pressure on my wounds and Maria called someone.

"GSW. She's lost a lot of blood. She's weak and unstable"

"Let me take her" I smiled at the site of Mr Joe Russo.

"She'll want to see him first"

"Maria, I already know who he is, say hi for me" I say lightly. My head is throbbing in headaches.

"You can do that yourself. He's been, mostly, waiting for you" she says back to me.

Steve carries me to a room with a plastic curtain. Maria pulls the curtains back to reveal Nick. I smile and he says,

"About damn time"

~~~~~

Joe Russo is looking at my wounds as Nick is listing off what's wrong with him.

"And one hell of a headache" he finishes off.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung" Mr Russo says. You know what, I'm just gonna say Joe. It's so much easier.

"Let's not forget that. Otherwise, I'm good" Nick says jokingly.

"They cut you open. Your heart stopped" Nat said, very confused.

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it"

"Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?" Steve asked quickly.

My sweating stopped and I wasn't dizzy anymore. I was more tired.

"Any attempt on the director's life had to look successful" Joe said. I looked at him and squealed like a child.

"Hi, can I get your autograph?" I say, looking hopefully at him.

"Uh, sure" he says, grabs a paper and signed it. I looked at it and I couldn't describe how happy I was. I put it away and Nick continued.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead. Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust. Miss Y/N, can I speak to you privately please?" Nick asks.

"Yes, of course" I reply and everyone leaves us alone.

"What do you want to talk about?"

"I heard that you stopped hundreds of bullets from hitting you. How could you do this?"

"I have a theory, but it's stupid"

"I think I can handle stupid after what just happened to me" he said raising an eyebrow "Don't you think?"

"Okay then, I think I have powers from a cartoon" (A/N: this cartoon is avatar the last airbender)

"That is the stupidest thing I've heard in my life"

"I told you"

"And that's why I believe you"

"Wait what?" I asked

"Honestly, you don't strike me as the stupid type or a liar, so I believe you. Do you know how to control this?"

"This is the first time that this has happened, but I have an idea, I just need to train"

"Okay, I'll have a training room set up just for you, just tell me what you'll need after this is over"

"I'll make a list"

~~~~~

We are all sitting around a table. Nick is holding a piece of paper and I'm still wincing at the pain from time to time.

"This man declined a Nobel Peace Prize. He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility. See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues" Nick said, looking at all us, one at a time.

"We have to stop the launch" Nat said, I nodded.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore" Nick opens a case with the three server blades that we have to put in the helicarriers.

"What's that?" Sam asks.

"Once the helicarriers reach 3000 feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites, becoming fully weaponized" I say.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own" Nick finishes.

"1 or 2 won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even 1 of those ships remain operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die" Maria said.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We have to get past them, insert these server blades. And maybe, just maybe we can salvage what's left-"

"We're not salvaging anything" Steve shouts, hurting my head a little "We're not just taking down those carriers, Nick, we're taking down S.H.I.E.L.D" Steve continued.

"S.H.I.E.L.D had nothing to do with this" Nick said quickly.

"You gave me this mission. This is how it ends. S.H.I.E.L.D's been comprised. You said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed"

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed" Nick snapped back.

"How many paid the price before you did?" After Steve said this, Nick paused before speaking again.

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes"

"Even if you had would you have told me, or Y/N? Because he took a certain liking towards her, or would you have compartmentalized that, too?" Steve said angrily, looking at me.

"I wanted to tell you but you wouldn't have believed me. I really did Steve, I swear" I say, meeting Steve's icy, cold eyes.

Steve looks back at Nick, still angry at me and continues.

"S.H.I.E.L.D, HYDRA, it all goes"

"He's right" Maria said to Nick.

Nick looked at Maria and she nodded. He looked at Nat, she leaned back in her chair. He looked at me and I nodded my head as well. He looked at Sam and Sam said,

"Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower"

Finally, Nick looked at Steve, looked down then shook his head.

"Well..." Nick sighed before continuing "It looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain" Steve and Nick just stared at each other until Steve gave me an angry look before walking off. I feel so bad for not telling him but can you blame me?