﹙ 𝐱𝐱𝐢 ﹚ library day-dreaming

🖇·˚ ༘ ┊͙[ chapter twenty-one ] ! ˊˎ

╰─▸ study sessions, teasing, and strange queries

     I GROW IMPATIENT QUICKLY. I felt my feet subconsciously tapping on the floor, as I checked my watch. The time read 7:03, meaning I had been waiting – when I technically shouldn't have been, for three minutes. That also meant I had been in the library for approximately seven minutes in total. This fact alone caused me to slump my chin atop my hand where my elbow dug into the leather-bound book at the top of my textbook pile.

     "Awh, you showed up." A voice came, pulling me out of my temporary daze. Cedric stood, towering over my table, a big, soft grin on his face. His cheeks were blushed pink, and his dimples had made an appearance.

     His (regrettably) adorable expression, however, did not make me feel any better about his lack of punctuality.

     "Of course I showed up," I replied distastefully, lifting my head from my hands. "And you showed up late."

     "Someone's in a mood," Cedric teased as he dropped his things on the table and took up the seat opposite me. "It's only been three minutes."

     "But I specifically told you not to be late," I said, clasping my hands and letting them rest on the wood surface in front of me. "Alas, here we are."

     Still, Cedric grinned, as if he enjoyed making me annoyed and so showed up late on purpose, just to see my writhe and tell him off. "I severely apologise, y/n but I fear it's not that serious, so why don't we let me off with a warning? How's that sound?"

     "It sounds like you're patronising me," I replied sarcastically.

     Cedric gasped dramatically, as if what I said was absurd. "Me? Never."

     Rolling my eyes, I uncrossed my legs and leaned forward slightly. "Let's just get on with it then, shall we?"

     Cedric scoffed then. "Don't make it seem like such a chore," he said.

     "Oh," I huffed, "but it is a chore, Diggory."

     "Harsh."

     "True."

     He was clearly fighting back the urge to retaliate once again, but instead, he resigned, and got out his things, handing me his essay so I could see what went wrong.

     "Your basic facts tend to be wrong," I told him after reading the essay through. "And it lacks a lot of detail."

     "Still being harsh."

     "Still being true," I replied if he was going to play that card. "Do you want me to help you or not?"

     Cedric turned sheepish. "Yes, please." He mumbled.

     "Okay then," I said, putting the essay down and clasping my hands together to lay them to rest on top of the paper. My eyes narrowed into his. "What are the main characteristics of the potion?"

     Cedric let out a puff of air as he thought for a moment. "Erm, thick and mud-like,"

     "Correct."

     "Bubbles slowly," he said, inching closer across the table.

     I narrowed my eyes and copied his movements, edging forward. "Correct again."