Part 27

The weekend of the Gala came in a flash. Maggie had spent the last couple of weeks working overtime for the gallery's next showcase event at the end of the month. She had to quite literally beg on her knees to get the weekend off. August conceded defeat, begrudgingly taking her off the schedule.

Being that she was working so hard, she didn't have time to get a dress. She had stopped by a handful of local boutiques on her breaks, but nothing caught her eye. She had been complaining to James about it all week. Anxiety was already eating at her over the thought of how upscale the event was supposed to be, but without knowing what she was even supposed to wear, it was practically debilitating.

She trudged up the stairs of the subway to head down the street to her home. When she got inside, Natasha was at her kitchen table, making her jump back in surprise. "Jesus christ, Nat. You scared me." She rested her hand over her chest, to calm her racing heartbeat.

"Sorry, babe."

"No no, I'm happy you're here. I was actually going to call you and see if you wanted to go shopping. I need help finding a dress." Maggie set down her keys on the counter, filling a glass of tap water for herself.

Since they had made up, things were completely back to normal between them. Even better almost, without the heavy secret looming over Natasha's head.

"I know you do. That's actually why I'm here." She laughed. "James asked me to take you out shopping, since he's busy. He said you've been bitching about it all week."

Maggie frowned.

"Well, he didn't say that. I'm paraphrasing." She shrugged, making Maggie laugh. "So, let's go."

A driver came and picked them up just as they walked out of the building in a large black suv. Prompt timing and excellent service made it very clear that James had his hands in the planning of the afternoon ahead.

Making its way across town, it rolled to a stop on 57th. The familiar row of designer boutiques Maggie had been to with James were laid out before them. Natasha wiggled her brows and hopped out of the car. Fendi, Dior, Chanel, Miu Miu, Saint Laurent, and Louis Vuitton. All waiting for them with their illuminated window displays.

They walked into Dior first, the memory of last time she was there made Maggie flush pink. Even more so when she saw the same associate from before was behind the counter greeting her by name. "Good to see you again, Mrs. Barnes."

Maggie opened her mouth to correct her, but Natasha shot her a look that made her mouth clamp shut. Practically being able to read each other's minds, she realized she wanted her to go with it. "Good to see you, too."

"I've already pulled a selection of gowns for you. If you wouldn't mind waiting on our lounges here, I'll go grab them."

Maggie wore a confused expression, but sat perched on the edge of the cushy seat. Natasha plopped down onto the cushy seat, wearing a blissful grin. "Nat, why did you want me to lie?" She whispered.

She sighed and dug into her Gucci purse— one of many gifts from Steve."This," her hand whipped back out, holding a sleek black card between her fingers, extending it to Maggie, "is why."

She gave her a puzzled look, but took it from her. She held it in her hand and instantly recognized it. 'James Buchanan Barnes' was etched into the bottom of the matte black card in neat silver lettering. "Where did you get this?"

"He gave it to me. Duh. He's paying for everything today and told me to tell you— to not hold back." She laughed to herself. "He said, and I quote, 'or else'. Also, he already called ahead to the boutiques and approved you to use it. He said you were his wife, so they wouldn't second guess him."