Chapter Seven: Forgiveness

(Author's Note: This story is being dual-uploaded here, and on Fanfiction.net! Artwork and additional media will be presented in this story to add towards its presentation. If you like the story, please continue supporting it by favoriting and following me!)

A familiar scene plays before Subaru.

He could only stare in shock, as he looks into Rem's room.

Laying on the bed was Rem, herself. She looked like she was peacefully sleeping. Like an angel.

However, Ram crying by the side of her bed had told him otherwise.

He knew what happened...

The curse Rem got from the Mabeast reached its final stage:

Rem... was dead...

He could see Roswaal, Emilia and Beatrice standing to his right, inside the room. Roswaal's face was grim, Beatrice was indifferent.

Emilia looked guilty, as if she committed a sin.

"It appears as if she had died of weakness," Roswaal speaks. Subaru felt his head get dizzy, an awful wave of nostalgia from the events happening,

"Like she fell into a coma, and won't wake up... Almost like a curse..." Roswaal was mellow. He did a good job, hiding his grief.

Subaru's face gets clammy with sweat, as he feels regret pile over...

No...

This shouldn't have happened...!

He made sure he did everything right, so how!?

"Subaru, my dear guest," Roswaal's gaze falls onto him, "Do you know what happened to her?"

Subaru's throat tightens. He does, in fact, know the truth!

"A Dog... No, just a pup...!" Subaru's voice was frail, but certain, "It bit her, right on the hand, while me and Rem were talking in the Village! It cursed her, right then and there! —"

"Do you expect me to believe that!?" Ram screams out to him, and Subaru recoils in shock, "What the hell would you know!? How do you know that a stray mutt caused my sister to die!?"

"Ram, you have to believe me! — I tried to save her! I really did all I could!" Subaru's voice chokes up, as tears started to bud in his eyes, "I tried to explain everything to her, but... she wouldn't listen!"

"Don't you dare say that! You didn't do nothing!" Ram stands right up, and turns to Subaru, death in her eyes, "I don't care what Rem did or didn't do, you should've told one of us!" —