chapter eight

"I have never been more ready to leave in my entire life," You groan loudly and drop into your desk chair, smiling at Reid who sits across from you

"I have never been more ready to leave in my entire life," You groan loudly and drop into your desk chair, smiling at Reid who sits across from you. "Everyone seemed to rush out of here pretty quickly." You kick your feet up on the desk and Reid tries to organize all the paperwork the two of you worked through.

"I kind of enjoy paperwork," Reid nods, "It's therapeutic."

"You enjoy it because you can read at light speed," You roll your eyes, "Some of us read at a normal human speed."

"Actually your reading speed is well above average at about 1200 words per minute," He gives a tight-lipped smirk. "The average adult can only read at 300 words per minute so honestly you're pretty fast. Plus the comparison of my reading speed to light speed makes no sense because the units of light speed are meters per second whereas reading is in units of words—"

"Reid," You laugh and lay your head back on the chair, "I'm too tired to remind you that I was making a joke."

"Oh," He pauses for a second, his mouth forming a small 'O'. You sit up slightly and open your eyes again, looking up at Hotch's office. His desk lamp is bright and he's focused on the paperwork in front of him. You see his chest rise and fall with a heavy sigh and he leans back in his chair, running a hand up to his mouth. You remain frozen in place, your eyes trained on him until he turns his attention out the blinds and he locks eyes with you.

Reid lets out a laugh beside you and your focus snaps back to him, "You want to drop these papers off in his office?"

"What?" You pull your feet off the desk and sit up slightly.

"Here you go, Sir. I worked really hard on the paperwork all for you," He taunts in a silly, fake seductive voice.

"Oh shut the fuck up," You laugh playfully and kick him under the desk.

He jumps, letting out a small grunt of pain, "Hey, hey, hey! I've got a bad knee."

"Don't pull that shit with me," You laugh at him, "You got shot over 2 years ago. Pack it up, Reid."

"Pack what up?" Reid's face contorts, his brows furrowing.

"It's just slang. It means like-" You shake your head, "Boy genius, you really need to use your phone to its fullest potential and browse the internet for once."

"I use the internet!" He protests, "I browse this one webpage that chronicles all the scientific inconsistencies of pop culture's biggest sci-fi movies and tv shows. They've ranked them in one big master document. One of the most controversial rankings is the Matrix is close to the bottom of the list. Aside from the fact that it's hailed as one of the most successful and popular sci fi movies of all time, it's wildly scientifically inaccurate. I mean the notion that machines could use humans' body heat for power makes no sense. There are much better ways to harvest energy from the human body."